PDA

View Full Version : EMB 170/190 Pneumatic Engine Start

GE90-115B
1st Nov 2013, 07:30
I would like to know as to why does Embraer 170/190 Pneumatic Engine Start Check list recommends starting Engine No.2 instead of Engine No.1. Also what are the effects of starting Engine No 1. using External Pneumatic Start (NO APU CONDITION) and attempting a crossfeed start for the Engine No 2. Any replies is highly appreciated.
Thanks. :ok:

TURIN
1st Nov 2013, 10:24
I don't know the Emb at all, however...

Which engine drives the hydraulic pump for the primary brakes circuit?

Just a thought. :ok:

Capt Claret
1st Nov 2013, 11:29
I don't know the Embraer either but the Douglas/Boeing 717 has the same recommendation. The reasoning is that the plumbing to the right engine is shorter & less convoluted than to the left, thus there is less energy loss from the pneumatic source.

FE Hoppy
1st Nov 2013, 21:02
I do know the answer ;-)

Take a look at the ECS schematic. Particularly which side of the x-bleed valve is the external air connection?

GE90-115B
3rd Nov 2013, 06:06
Thanks a lot guys. But the question is it just a safety recommendation or is it a technical recommendation.

flyboyike
3rd Nov 2013, 19:11
But the question is it just a safety recommendation or is it a technical recommendation.

That's not what you asked originally.

renard
4th Nov 2013, 07:08
On most (all?) types you start the right hand side engines first.

GPU connections are on the left hand side of the aircraft. On the EMB, and most other aircraft, if you need a ground start cart your APU is unserviceable.

This means you will also need a GPU to provide the electrics for the aircraft until one engine is running.

If you start engine #1 first, then the ground crew will have to disconnect the GPU which is in front of a running engine - not a good idea.

On the EMB190 the air connection is underneath the fuselage but on the EMB145, IIRC, the air start connector is on the left hand side of the fuselage, quite near engine#1.

On shutdown you normally shutdown left to right, so if your APU is not available you shut engine #1 off then connect GPU and shutdown engine #2.

flyboyike
5th Nov 2013, 14:31
Did just that on an E170 yesterday, only for the second time since I've been on the airplane. Worked like a charm.