PDA

View Full Version : FTROL is a barrier to skills test?

ccjbrown
30th Oct 2013, 20:00
Hi,
Please bare with me on this;

I am currently training for my CPL and IR. This training is taking place outside of the UK but I will take my skill tests with a UK CAA approved examiner.

I am having trouble getting a definitive answer as to whether it is possible to take my commercial and IR skill test without having already obtained my FRTOL. I understand that I cannot exercise the privileges of either of these licences without the FRTOL but is it possible to take the 2 skills tests, then the FRTOL. Therefore once having received my FRTOL from the CAA I can then, and only then, have my CPL and IR issued.

Cap 804, Section 6, seems vague on this subject:

"There are exceptions for flight crew under training and for sailplane pilots when transmitting on frequencies specifically allocated for glider operation."

"1.1 No person may operate an aircraft radio station in the air, or on the ground, unless they are in possession of a valid FRTOL, or are operating directly under the supervision of the holder of a FRTOL"

"The FRTOL is not a prerequisite for the issue of a flight crew licence and is not automatically issued."

any help would be greatly appreciated.

BigGrecian
31st Oct 2013, 02:21
Standards Document 3 - Notes for the Guidance of Examiners and Applicants taking the CPL Skill Test (Aeroplanes) (http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?catid=33&pagetype=65&appid=11&mode=detail&id=1198) Paragraph 2.1.8