PDA

View Full Version : Ageing Choppers Near Disaster Over Glastonbury

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
30th Oct 2013, 19:52
From today's Wail on-line. Royal Navy Lynx helicopters came within 50ft of crashing at 92mph because they 'couldn't see properly through night vision goggles' | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2479074/Royal-Navy-Lynx-helicopters-came-50ft-crashing-92mph-properly-night-vision-goggles.html)

Royal Navy Lynx helicopters came within 50ft of crashing at 92mph because they 'couldn't see properly through night vision goggles'

* Near-miss over Glastonbury, Somerset, was caused by old equipment

* Crash averted by seconds when crew member took violent evasive action

* Report: 'Serious incident that could potentially have ended with fatalities'

Thousands of hippies could have been frightened!

Dengue_Dude
30th Oct 2013, 19:54
If I remember correctly, you can't see weather using the early ANVIS - was that why they couldn't see? Perhaps the weather was dog****.

Courtney Mil
30th Oct 2013, 20:05
Er, no. No excuse for running into trouble with even the old gen NVGs. Some great lines have been fed to the reporter there and a lot of what he has written in surprisingly good for the Mail.

To pick up on a couple of his points, NVGs have a narrow feild of view, you just have to move your head. Traffic warning systems - let's all have TCAS, it would really help in war. What has the Super Puma crash in August to do with this? I thank the reporter for the list of other, unrelated helo incidents.

Not very impressed.

hoodie
30th Oct 2013, 20:27
Lifted from the latest UK Airprox Board report, if you want the full story. (p44, Report No. 2013048 (http://www.airproxboard.org.uk/docs/423/20130911-2013.09Reports.pdf))

NutLoose
30th Oct 2013, 20:55
Should have bought a ticket like everyone else, bloody Navy cheapskates :E

teeteringhead
31st Oct 2013, 11:11
Interesting that one pilot reprted inflight vis as 10km, the other one 25 km.

Agaricus bisporus
31st Oct 2013, 13:22
Interesting that one pilot reprted inflight vis as 10km, the other one 25 km.

Probably not so interesting. I'd surmise one was quoting 10K as the max met vis figure that is normally reported, the other was just describing how far he could see.