PDA

View Full Version : cheapest flight training in europe

shifatur
10th Nov 2001, 23:42
hi guys
just made up my mind to start my ppl in south africa next year, may. but before that, i would like someone to recommend me any flight school in europe who offer good training at reasonable flight.

can someone let me know?

take care

capt. rich

QUERY
11th Nov 2001, 05:20
Why would someone already in the US want to do their PPL in South Africa or Europe, when you can do either FAA or JAA cheaply and quickly there?
Just curious and don't want to start all the usual ---- about this, that or the other 'best school in the world'.

shifatur
11th Nov 2001, 05:45
hello query
thanks for the response. i really appreciate it.

to start with, i am not in u.s.a right now. i am doing my bachelors in uni. of maryland at "germany", part of the uni. of maryland system of higher education of u.s.a .

i was just curious to find out about some schools in the europe, that's it. if things looked favorable, i might as well wanna go to a recommended school.

all i asked was about some school that would offer me quality school at reasonable price. that's all. i don't want to go into argument on "the best flight school in europe", too. just wanted all of your suggestion.

hope u have the picture of the whole situation now. please lemme know what u think after the clarification.

take care.

capt. rich

Lupet50
12th Nov 2001, 08:16
Dude,

It is not the cheapest school, or even the school that you should be looking for. It is the instructor!!!!!

You can get the best or cheapest/best school and end up with an instructor that just gets on your tits something bad.

Learning to fly is fanbloddytastic, but it can also be an emotional roler-coaster ride so make sure you do not have the added stress of a personality clash or a pilot who is not a gifted teacher.

Also ground school abilities of instructor.
e.g. My instructor is OK in the air, but ask him a question and you were lucky if he actually listened to your question, would complain about not getting paid for time on the ground (True in Australia, but his problem not mine) and often give a 2000 word theses as a response to a simple question.

Weather: Really screws you over and adds exponentially to your stress and expenses. I learned in Melbourne in the Winter. OK so I am more comfortable flying in ****ty weather than if I had learned in Florida, but the frustration was really draining. I say, do PPL in sunny area in summer then if not happy with flying in real weather, so what, do a more advanced rating (Instrument, CPL, ME) with a school in a ****ty weather area or even just hitch a few rides with experienced pilots in less than ideal weather to build your confidence. This does not take long.

I have met so many students burnt by cheep schools ripping them off. Quoting a cheep rate, but not letting the student progress and hence milking them for a few more hours dual time. This can very quickly add up!

NEVER PAY UP-FRONT!
SPEAK TO THE INSTRUCTOR WHO WILL ACTUALLY BE TEACHING YOU
WILL THEY HAVE TIME FOR YOUR GROUND SCHOOL QUERIES AS WELL AS REGULAR FLIGHT TIME.
INSIST ON SPEAKING TO PAST STUDENTS ESPECIALLY ONES WHO ARE NO LONGER AT THE SCHOOL AND FEEL OBLIGED TO SAY GOOD THINGS.

Do these things politely but firmly and you will be better off for it. If the school is reluctant to answer or gives you a ****ty attitude they probably have something to hide. Flying might be pure for some, but the industry has its ****s like any other.

Good luck!

shifatur
12th Nov 2001, 15:58
dear woffc
thanks a lot for your suggestion. ya, i agree that schools dont necessarily turn out to be what u read in their literature before enrollment.

if u got something more to suggest, post it anytime u want. i am sure there are other ppl like me who want to get flight training in europe or south africa. they need to know the insider of "flight schools", all their hidden facts and figures.......

thanks again....keep going guys......

capt. rich