PDA

View Full Version : agressive / unruly passengers in business aviation

jetopa
28th Oct 2013, 14:15
Allow me to kick off a little discussion. Following scenario:

wealthy passenger from somewhere else with unlimited access to the cockpit of a typical business jet during flight interferes with crew duties on hand, giving direct orders in a commanding and aggressive tone that is well suited to further increase the crew's workload.

Question(s):

have you experienced something like this?

what did you do and how did you balance the justified demands of an owner towards the regulations that surround the working environment of a crew at the controls of a transport category airplane?

what was the outcome of your decision and eventual feedback?

flyboyike
28th Oct 2013, 16:44
You mean something similar to PLF 1 at Smolensk?

jetopa
28th Oct 2013, 17:46
???

I actually don't know what you are referring to.

BlueVolta
28th Oct 2013, 17:55
Polish president and a TU154 is the reference to "Smolensk", I believe.

The outcome was not the best one!

Machaca
28th Oct 2013, 17:58
Hand him a copy of the NTSB report (http://www.ntsb.gov/doclib/reports/2003/AAB0203.pdf) on the 2001 GIII crash in Aspen.

Once he acknowledges the contributing factors of demanding bosses riding jump seat, invite him to sit up front silently until he is type rated.

flyboyike
30th Oct 2013, 16:03
One of the reasons I've never been to attracted to corporate flying is that I really like that locked door.

cloudsurf
30th Oct 2013, 22:26
One of the attractions of corporate flying for me is the fact there is still a link to the passengers. I've had passengers barking orders, chaged destination midair (multiple times) and dogs licking my hand just before we start to taxi! At the end of the day its the strength of character of the individual that wins through and not everyone can deal with it (or wants to deal with it). That's why corporate flying is not for everyone; it requires a different set of skills and certainly strong personal/negotiating skills. If you are confident in your knowledge and can give a valid resaon for refusing or changing a particular request, then most people accept this. In fact, the more knowledgeable, in time, they become with regards to slots, permits, FTL's etc and it makes for a better working realtaionship as they won't be late again if they miss their meeting due to a lost slot or expired flight duty! The passenger expects to be able to carry their power and influence into everyday life and, obvioulsy, it upsets them if they do not get their own way, but a good crew will always explain and offer solutions without giving in to a siatutaion that could become unsafe.....in my experience anyway.

Tray Surfer
30th Oct 2013, 23:36
Great post cloudsurf... Very well said.

All be it the dog licking did make me chuckle.

suhoi27
31st Oct 2013, 06:49
Depending on the situation and its progress you may use the cherry picker-works for me:E...esp. when forks, CDs and so on start hitting the MFD

Hotelpresident
5th Nov 2013, 19:08
Normally rude pax are into airliners but pilots don't note because the problem is faced by cabin crews.

ksjc
5th Nov 2013, 19:54
Perhaps, but the ultra-rich set has a fair share of A-holes too. I've flown some of them.

Years ago when I was a charter pilot in California and we would get the occasional Hollywood type. As a general rule these people are accustomed to having others do EVERYTHING for them, are high maintenance and, yes, sometimes difficult and unreasonable. I had a few of those. Won't name names but there was one dude everyone loathed...he stared in TV's Miami Vice and later Nash Bridges. Complete jerk.

Sandra Bullock, on the other hand, is a most genuine, pleasant and respectful lady.

flyboyike
5th Nov 2013, 23:24
Hey, if you'd once dated Barbra Streisand, you'd be a jerk, too.

westhawk
6th Nov 2013, 01:33
The key to keeping the aforementioned actor in line is to keep him drunk. Fortunately, that doesn't usually require much effort on anyone's part!

ksjc
6th Nov 2013, 02:25
Yes. One day while on approach into KVNY he actually shouted from the back the he was a "licensed pilot" and was trying to tell me I was doing something or other all wrong. I love that story. What a douche bag.

westhawk
6th Nov 2013, 03:36
One well known TV psycho-babble personality was quite well known for his temper tantrums. We were dropping him off in the Dallas area once and as we pull up to the FBO we noticed nobody was out on the ramp to park us. We thought this strange since we'd only spoken to them by radio about 15 minutes previously to inform them of our imminent arrival. The "doctor" started ranting about where the !@#$ was his (*&^%$# car before we'd even had time to get up and open the door. As the yelling continued I began to realize what had happened. He's used this FBO before! I ended up going and getting his (*&^%$# car from the parking lot myself since we could find no ramp guys in evidence anywhere! Even the normally perky and helpful desk chick seemed very occupied with an apparently important phone conversation.

I know I should have been upset with the seemingly bad service, but I just couldn't get very worked up about it after the stream of abuse issued out by the good "doctor" and "mental health professional". Oh, the irony! Some old quote came to mind: "Heal thyself Doctor"... (physician heal thyself)

Once he was on his way the FBO staff reappeared and apologized profusely, explaining about the near insurrection which had occurred during a previous encounter with the man. I accepted their "explanation" but made it clear I still had to write a company incident report to our D.O. because this was bound to cause a stir with the charter department. They understood and allowed has how they'd all been looking for a job when they found this one! I never heard a word about it and several of the same people were still working at that FBO the next time I was through there months later. The last charter pax I knew of with a reputation like that was... :)

westhawk

His dudeness
6th Nov 2013, 08:00
IŽd rather remember the real nice guys - they are fewer, so more brain storage saved.

Acutally, when I really think about it, thats not true. I had very few disgusting people on board.

Joe le Taxi
6th Nov 2013, 09:39
I must have been lucky - I am struggling to remember ever flying an utterly objectionable or disruptive passenger (grumbles for sure, usually about not accepting an overload) - By and large, I have been surprised at just how pleasant HNW individuals and celebs are (I am talking Europe here - I don't know if that makes a difference).

It is just as well, because there is certainly the potential to disrupt flight deck operations if they so choose.

fleigle
6th Nov 2013, 15:06
Westhawk.
I heard a story about that same "Dr." bought himself a Gulfstream and wanted new carpets installed, called out the cheapest carpet place in town to do the job and then threw a major hissy when informed that the materials wern't certified.... huge smiles around the professionals that normally had to deal with him on a frequent basis.
A real "pill" ;)
:ok:
f

TWT
6th Nov 2013, 21:12
What a philistine !

fade to grey
6th Nov 2013, 21:14
Goddamn !
Sonny Crockett was my 80s hero. Very upset to hear he's a knob.