PDA

View Full Version : CPL/IR useless?

Transsonic2000
25th Oct 2013, 22:45
I'm currently involved in a distances learning course, doing the conversion (FAA CPL/IR into EASA ATPL frozen). At the moment I'm preparing to complete what's called "phase 1" which means the school internal test for CPL/IR level. Afterwards there would be additional studying for the second phase which would conclude in taking the final and real EASA ATP exams.

Due to unfortunate events in my personal life it looks like it might not be possible to continue with "phase 2" (EASA ATP exams) and only go for the EASA CPL/IR instead.

My question now is, what can or could I do with only a (EASA) CPL/IR? I mean I'm not a complete novice in the aviation branch, and to my knowledge, especially here in Europe, a CPL/IR without the ATP knowledge credit is pretty much useless?!

I'm thinking about going to get my EASA instructor license (if possible, can't tell now). Would it be possible to make a living as an instructor here in Europe, with a CPL/IR only? Furthermore, I believe additional studying and exams would be indicated as well to get the FI license, which wouldn't be the case if I'd have passed the APT exams?

Advice appreciated, thanks for reading this!

paco
26th Oct 2013, 04:52
You only require CPL knowledge to become an instructor - you don't actually need a licence issued. If you intend being a captain on the big stuff, then the CPL/IR is useless, but there are plenty of people with CPLs enjoying themselves with good jobs. You can fly as captain on reasonably large machines with one, but that's not the issue. I remember parking up next to a long row of DC 10s in Canada (shows my age) in my DHC2 (Beaver) and there were a lot of aircrew who came to visit and said they wished they could swap places.

Transsonic2000
26th Oct 2013, 19:00
Thanks for your reply, very much appreciated! I see it appears that there are options, even with the CPL, but one is certainly more competitive with the higher ranking license. Let's see what the future brings and hope the best, perhaps everything turns out fine and I'll be able to finish up the ATP exams - that'd be great!

Genghis the Engineer
26th Oct 2013, 20:23
The simpler answer is that with CPL/IR and "only" CPL writtens, you can do anything in an aeroplane certified for single pilot operations. You need the APTL writtens to fly RHS in multi-crew aeroplanes, and the full ATPL to fly multi-crew LHS.

I believe that aeroplanes certified single pilot but operated within company procedures 2-pilot still only need CPL/IR.

As has already been said, FI only needs CPL writtens and not the CPL skill test. It doesn't need IR either, unless you plan to also become an IRI.

flyPPI
30th Oct 2013, 12:05
I also did the distance learning class for the FAA ->EASA conversion. I found that the effort for the second phase was much less than the one required for the first phase. Also, if you look at the question distribution for the exams that you can find in the main menu, you will see that the additional questions are not that many.
That is of course, if you are with the same ATO as I.

what next
30th Oct 2013, 13:09
I believe that aeroplanes certified single pilot but operated within company procedures 2-pilot still only need CPL/IR.

That's correct. You can operate aircraft like CitationJets and Kingairs commercially with two CPL/IR holders. But the main problem is to find employment with only a CPL because there are thousands of unemployed ATPL holders queuing for every job opportunity - why should anyone employ a pilot with lesser qualifications (unless for financial reasons)?

Go for the full ATPL, it is worth the extra effort.