PDA

View Full Version : Which iPad for ATPLs

flyelmoair
25th Oct 2013, 14:37
Fellow PPruners,

Awaiting payment to clear before purchasing Mod 1 for BGS ATPL and looking for some peoples opinions on which iPad they've used.

What are the opinions of using an iPad Mini for the GS? Is the screen big enough for the content without sitting banging your head of the screen trying to read it?

Thanks for any replies.

keith williams
25th Oct 2013, 17:21
Before selecting your Ipad you should go to the BGS website and read up on the comments made by their students regarding the Ipad version of their software. Judging by some of the comments you may prefer not to use an Ipad at all.

Alex Whittingham
26th Oct 2013, 19:37
Thanks Keith! A serious answer would be you can use any full size iPad. We would actually not recommend the iPad as a primary training device. The evidence is anecdotal because the iPad is relatively new but many FTOs that optimistically started ATPL courses that were only supported by iPads (ie no manuals, no full size computers) have now reverted to more traditional manuals and CBT. We would suggest that your CBT be run on, in descending order of preference, (1) PC/iMac (2) laptop (3) iPad. Small screen notebooks, iPad minis and mobile phones are deliberately not supported. I would personally view the iPad app as a convenience tool which can be used when you are away from your main computer, when you are back in wifi range your work will synchronise with your main computer. It's different for different people of course, I am generalising.

flyelmoair
26th Oct 2013, 20:06
Thanks Alex,

It was maybe fate then today that the apple store I went to didn't have any mini's in stock.

Interesting to hear that the mini's are deliberately not compatible with the app as it is the more compact for studying away from the laptop/pc.

Thanks again for your responses folks

Alex Whittingham
26th Oct 2013, 20:54
Other way around, the app is deliberately not compatible with the mini and the iPhone, the screens are too small.

keith williams
27th Oct 2013, 13:25
flyelmoair you still appear to be concentrating on which Ipad to buy for your studies, without considering whether or not it is a good idea to buy one at all.

If you want to condsider this wider question the link below is a good starting point. The problem does not appear to be simply one of screen size.

iPad version of ATP Digital - who else has issues? - ATP Forum (http://www.atpforum.eu/showthread.php?t=16183)

flyelmoair
27th Oct 2013, 13:45
Yeah thanks Keith, saw this the other day and slowly moving away from the rushing out to buy one for the studying.

_niko_
28th Oct 2013, 10:14
I am working full time and besides my job I have now used BGSOnline with my iPad mini as primary device let say almost two months. Air Law almost done and for me it works ok! iPad mini is so compact that you can take it with you where ever you go. Only problems I have faced is when using question bank. Sometimes for example the correct answers are blank maybe because the resolution of the screen?

Question is am I doing something wrong when in my opinion there is almost no problems to use BGSOnline with iPad mini? :D

I have also the Oxford books but have not read them much so far. (though I have planned to do so after completed one subject with BGS).