PDA

View Full Version : Currency in GA CHTR

aussieflyboy
25th Oct 2013, 08:46
Just curious as to what people think is adequate as far as currency goes for a CHTR pilot flying IFR twins:

For example, am I as a client getting pilots that are flying these aircraft 3 - 4 times a week or is it more likely once every 3 - 4 weeks?? Or more?? What's normal??

Do pilots fly multiple types or just 1 or 2??

Obviously this would change depending on what company I choose to fly with, so let's assume a company with both singles and twins.

DH164
25th Oct 2013, 08:58
Just curious as to what people think is adequate as far as currency goes for a CHTR pilot flying IFR twins

CAO 40.2.1

Homesick-Angel
25th Oct 2013, 09:30
Totally depends on what organisation you go to.

aussieflyboy
25th Oct 2013, 09:43
Perhaps I should ask the question do people think it's safe for a pilot to fly single pilot IFR only once per month??

I feel rusty when I jump into my wife's manual car after a month in my auto

DH164
25th Oct 2013, 10:22
Perhaps I should ask the question do people think it's safe for a pilot to fly single pilot IFR only once per month??

CASA does, and they love to over compensate.

Old Akro
26th Oct 2013, 00:11
There are some guys I would happily fly with if they hadn't been in an aircraft for 3 months. There are some guys who fl every day that I wouldn't get in an aeroplane with.

Oktas8
26th Oct 2013, 01:17

Old Akro is referring (I think) to total competence: is the pilot conscientious, does the pilot use good techniques, etc. This may not be obvious to the client!

Experience is also a variable. Someone who has flown a lot of IFR in the past will be competent if doing it only once a month, but someone straight from flying school will need more frequent practise to maintain recently-acquired skills.

Old Akro
26th Oct 2013, 03:22
Oktas8 gave a much better answer than me.

To extend his question about how the passenger tell, I would say that good people surround themselves with good people. If the charter organisation looks well run with good attention to detail in the areas you can see and the people you meet are genuine, sharp and competent, then chances are the pilots are also.

Defenestrator
26th Oct 2013, 07:09
In short....

The beer currency is alive and well, closely followed by the bull**** currency. Foreign currency seems to be the way forward for many after their GA days are over. Many more rely on the 'synthetic trainer' (read into that what you will!).

D:}