PDA

View Full Version : Death of a warrior.

Gemini Twin
24th Oct 2013, 23:44
RIP Robbie Risner. WWII, Korea, Vietnam veteren.

From POWNET.com

"Today about noon Eastern time, Robbie Risner died.

According to Deborah, Robbie's stepdaughter, he had had several small
strokes but recovered from each, until this last one, a major stroke last
Saturday, and he died today in his sleep.
Nothing is known yet about services...Arlington is assumed but there is a
waiting period."
JL

All our prayers are with the Risner Family. This is a great loss to our nation.

smujsmith
25th Oct 2013, 19:02
"James "Robbie" Risner is a double recipient of the Air Force Cross, the second highest military decoration for valor that can be awarded to a member of the United States Air Force. He was the first living recipient of the medal, awarded the first for valor in aerial combat during the Vietnam War, and the second for gallantry as a prisoner of war of the North Vietnamese for more than seven years." Gemini Twins, sad news indeed. The man was a legend. I'm sure many our side if the pond will agree. RIP Sir, you've done your bit, thank you.

Robert Cooper
25th Oct 2013, 20:11
As Air Force Chief of Staff General Mark A. Welsh III observed: "We lost another Air Force hero this week. Brig. Gen. James Robinson "Robbie" Risner was part of that legendary group who served in three wars, built an Air Force, and gave us an enduring example of courage and mission success...Today’s Airmen know we stand on the shoulders of giants. One of ‘em is 9 feet tall…and headed west in full afterburner."

Risner flew a P-38 Lightning in World War II and became an ace after shooting down eight MiG-15 fighters in Korea. He was famous among tactical aircraft pilots for using the nose of his F-86 to physically push his wingman's disabled fighter away from enemy lines. Over the years, he earned a reputation as a strong leader, one that left him either loved or hated.

An American Hero…RIP sir!

Bob C

500N
25th Oct 2013, 20:19
From your post, I looked on line at his life.

Amazing person. RIP.

racedo
25th Oct 2013, 20:46
He was famous among tactical aircraft pilots for using the nose of his F-86 to physically push his wingman's disabled fighter away from enemy lines.

Love the story on this one....................

Gemini Twin
25th Oct 2013, 20:52
racedo, reminds me of Pardo's push in Vietnam.