PDA

View Full Version : Terrorist Plaque NI

ShotOne
23rd Oct 2013, 12:18
Anyone needing a blood pressure boost just have a look at the plaque erected in Belfast commemorating terrorist Thomas Begley killed in the act of murdering and maiming people in the Shankhill Rd in 1993.

Torque Tonight
23rd Oct 2013, 12:44
Nothing that a chucked bucket of red paint won't fix, and in fairly quick time I don't doubt.

500N
23rd Oct 2013, 12:50
Attach a plaque next to it.

"Plaque to the recipient of the Darwin award".

Wrathmonk
23rd Oct 2013, 14:04
Nothing that new....

One (http://www.flickr.com/photos/20923094@N04/2518791175)

Two (http://www.flickr.com/photos/20923094@N04/2518792293)

Three (http://www.flickr.com/photos/26262867@N00/168549075)

Four (http://www.flickr.com/photos/12028410@N00/8294720213)

etc, etc.

All found on the streets of that same city in UK....

ShotOne
23rd Oct 2013, 14:19
What's new is that this is the first at the scene of a mass murder

Wrathmonk
23rd Oct 2013, 14:34
Must admit I didn't think it was located at the scene of the mass murder (i.e the fish shop on Shankhill Road). If, as you say, it is I can't see it lasting long ......

I thought it was located in the residential areas of Ardoyne, in a similar way that many of the other such plaques and memorials are located in similarly Republican areas.

500N
23rd Oct 2013, 14:52
It was where the bomb he was holding / planting blew up a bit earlier than he thought, hence the civilians killed.

Wrathmonk
23rd Oct 2013, 15:06
It was where the bomb he was holding / planting blew up a bit earlier than he thought, hence the civilians killed

Which was in the fish shop.....the 'targets' were meeting later in a room above the shop and the bomb went off when the bomber entered the fish shop to 'plant' it.

So, just for clarification, what you and ShotOne are saying is that the plaque commemorating a republican atrocity is on the wall of the (former?) fish shop in the staunchly loyalist Shankhill Road?

500N
23rd Oct 2013, 15:14
Wrath

That's the way I read his opening post.

I couldn't remember exactly which guy it was so looked it up to refresh my memory.

Hangarshuffle
23rd Oct 2013, 16:26
The wars over. The pictures - they can't raise my blood pressure at all, the whole thing makes me just a bit sad, that's all.
For all the lives lost on both sides - could and should have all been avoided. Please don't come to anger over it, been enough of that. And what's the point of the anger now anyway?
I had a look at the pictures following on after the memorials (on the Flicker). The people look just very ordinary Irish kids playing traditional Irish music, they just happen to be very different to us in many ways- it never looks like the UK at all to me, never did that part of the world. Perhaps one of reasons of yet (another) pointless bloody war.
We (the ordinary people) should all be friends..and if we cant be friends, then at least not be enemies.

Cows getting bigger
23rd Oct 2013, 17:22
Hangar shuffle, whilst I completely agree with you views, I have to tell you that the war is not over. There may be 'peace' but the same old issues are simmering away.

Will there be a return to widespread, indiscriminate violence? I suspect not. Will there still be sectarianism and racism? Oh yes. :(

charliegolf
23rd Oct 2013, 18:40
In the Bobby Sands one, what does the 'vol', stand for. 'Cos he sure wasn't vol-uptuous when he croaked!

I believe I was at his funeral- taking snaps at 800'.

CG

Wander00
23rd Oct 2013, 18:46
volunteer" probably. Smacks of bad taste to me. Can't help but smile at the thought of doggies pooing on them

Training Risky
24th Oct 2013, 07:38
'Could you do a chicken supper Bobby Sands?...
Could you do a chicken supper Bobby Sands?...
Could you do a chicken supper, you dirty Fenian fu(ker,
Could you do a chicken supper Bobby Sands?'

Capetonian
24th Oct 2013, 07:49
I don't have a strong view on this as I can understand why the families, friends, and supporters of these lads want them celebrated and commemorated as heroes. Personally I think they're murdering scum.

What saddens me is to think that so many lives were lost over this pointless sectarian war. I've spent a bit of time in NI in the last few years and also when I was young, and it's one of the loveliest places on earth and wonderful people.

By the way I initially read the title of this thread as Terrorist PLAGUE! (which they are.)

dmussen
24th Oct 2013, 07:59
Lads,
In this one, as always, everybody lost. May I suggest you all try to get on with what you have got and enjoy it. To dwell in the past will only tear your heart to ribbons.
By the way does anyone remember flying?
D:ok:

Just a spotter
24th Oct 2013, 13:40
@CGwhat does the 'vol', stand for.Waqnder00 has it; it's an abbreviation for volunteer as the term used by the various incarnations of the IRA for their members. In Irish Gaelic the word used is Óglach (pronounced Oh-gah-lock). Most of the versions of the IRA styles themselves Óglaigh na h'Éireann (Oh-gah-lee nah heir-ann), roughly translating to the Irish Volunteers (the name of a group founded in 1913 to fight for Irish independence).

In fact, it's an offence in Ireland to call yourself Óglaigh na h'Éireann as that's a title reserved for the State Defence Forces and appears on official cap badges (along with a double 'F', signifying Fianna Fáil (Fee-anna Fall ... which is also the name of a political party in the State and included in the opening line of the National Anthem) who where a mythical band of hunter-warriors. That roughly translates as Warriors of Destiny ... but is usually interpreted as Soldiers of Destiny.

JAS