PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft missing flying from Moruya to Mangalore

Rotor Work
23rd Oct 2013, 06:13
From ABC News
Search underway for light plane which failed to arrive in Victoria - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) (http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-10-23/search-underway-for-missing-light-plane/5041358?section=vic)

Ten News said it was a C 182
Hoping for good news
Fly Safe

R W

A search has begun for a missing plane that was flying from the New South Wales far south coast to Victoria.
The plane with only the pilot on board left Moruya this morning on a flight to Mangalore, north of Melbourne.
There has been no contact with the aircraft since it left Bega at 9am (AEDT).
The Australian Maritime Safety Authority (AMSA) says the plane is about four hours overdue.
"AMSA has five aircraft involved in the search, including two fixed-wing and three helicopters, which are currently flying from both sides of what we believe the intended route of the plane was," spokesman Simon Cardwell said.

gassed budgie
23rd Oct 2013, 06:26
VH-KKM I believe.

VH-XXX
23rd Oct 2013, 07:12
Certainly some very average terrain up there that we Victorians usually try and avoid. Used to be / don't know if they exist any more a DRA. Here's hoping for the best.

Ovation
23rd Oct 2013, 08:27
Seems to have filed a VFR flight plan at 6,500 ft.

VH-KKM ? 23-Oct-2013 ? YMRY / MYA - YMNG ? FlightAware (http://flightaware.com/live/flight/VHKKM/history/20131022/2130Z/YMRY/YMNG)

ZAZ
23rd Oct 2013, 08:32
This week on Monday wx went crap and we only just saw the sun.
its Wednesday.
Low cloud and rain with poor viz all over Vic..
I hope its not a repeat of the C210 which took out flying docs in 1990s who tried same route or that 172 that went in into snow same area.
I cant imagine the weather on that route being good these past couple of days.

search area was very wide, and bad weather was causing difficulties.
‘‘The weather along the route is reported to be very poor with strong winds and low cloud,’’ he said.
Mr Cardwell said there had been no contact made with the pilot, the only person on board, for five hours since shortly after he departed from Moruya.

Read more: Search underway for missing plane (http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/search-underway-for-missing-plane-20131023-2w1c7.html#ixzz2iX3YS1NZ)

VH-XXX
23rd Oct 2013, 08:39
I'm certain I flew that rego on a Gazelle a few years back in Mackay. The 182 must have been recently imported or rego modified given it's a 78 model. We need to hope for the best as if a certain person is flying it, the aviation industry will suffer should the worst case have occurred.

Ultralights
23rd Oct 2013, 08:50
sadly right across a lot of very inaccesable terrain. and with these winds, would have been a very bumpy ride!

KRUSTY 34
23rd Oct 2013, 08:50
Heard Jestar trying to contact it on "guard" this morning.

Weather on that track was definitely not suitable for VFR. We shot an RNAV into Albury, and although visual at 1,000 feet, it was on the "deck" to the east and N/E.

Fingers crossed. :(

Homesick-Angel
23rd Oct 2013, 12:17
The Dornier has been at it again (http://flightaware.com/live/flight/VHPPQ).

Lets hope they find what they're looking for ASAP and that news is good.

The circling usually means bad things, but they did this earlier in the day as well as per fpvdudes post. Looks like their doing the full patterns and had a closer look at something to the northern part of the run.

I too was in the area today. It was bad enough out in the flats, and on the ground out east on the ranges.

For a time there was an ELT signal coming from the Kilmore Gap area.Anyone heard anymore on that?.

XXX - Im fairly sure the occupant is not who you think it is.

500N
23rd Oct 2013, 22:19
They are reporting they have found the plane near Mt Hotham.

I can't vouch for the accuracy of the reports but this was the first
I had heard that they had found it.

Hope and prayers that they are OK.

VH-XXX
23rd Oct 2013, 22:35
If all ends badly, this is a sad twist to the sequence of events, particularly if the fires were deliberately lit.

Lindsay Brown, the Mayor of the Eurobodalla Shire, near Moruya, says the pilot had been delivering parts for the helicopters fighting the fires in New South Wales.

The aircraft is registered to the CEO and founder of Kestrel aviation who run helicopters out of Mangalore and likely have aircraft fighting fires in NSW.

Homesick-Angel
23rd Oct 2013, 22:44
Kestrel are pretty big on the business of fires, so how they were lit isn't gonna make much difference. Kestrel will most likely be there. Tis their season right now, and gets longer every year.

I have pretty good information that the person onboard is not the person it is registered to.

VH-XXX
23rd Oct 2013, 22:47
Sorry didn't mean to suggest the CEO was in board, just drawing the link between why the aircraft was where it was.

Area QNH is...
23rd Oct 2013, 22:49
Seven news just reported wreckage was found with one deceased occupant on board.
RIP

Homesick-Angel
23rd Oct 2013, 23:21
That is not good at all..
RIP

Jack Ranga
24th Oct 2013, 00:12
One of the search aircraft yesterday reported severe turbulence and unable to maintain altitude. There were sigmets yesterday for icing & turbulence. The TAF's for any destination south of & including Albury required instrument approaches & alternates yet a VFR C182 sets course for MNG...............WTF?

compressor stall
24th Oct 2013, 00:57
IF those reports are true JR, one wonders if Dick Smith's attempt at a Dorothy Dixer in the Operatinal Control thread might have backfired.

So have any lives been lost since 1991 when my board removed the operational controllers from CAA?

Jack Ranga
24th Oct 2013, 06:31
They're true CS, I was working the airspace yesterday, filthy weather!

nomorecatering
24th Oct 2013, 12:07
I was flying not far from Wangaratta during the early afternoon. All day the weather was absolutely crap east of the Hume. Cloud right down around the mountain tops, and was like that from early morning. It was thick and either dark grey or that purpleish colour associated with heavy rain.

The weather generally was weird. One minute in clear sunshine, although with thickish cloud above, nothing on our track, then within literaly 3 minutes the clouds formed up together, changed colour and let go torrential rain. Multiple diversions, diversion on diversions.

500N
24th Oct 2013, 12:57
Nomore

That is a good description of Victoria's weather.

The owner said some nice things on the news tonight about the pilot.

mickjoebill
25th Oct 2013, 01:13
The TAF's for any destination south of & including Albury required instrument approaches & alternates yet a VFR C182 sets course for MNG...............WTF?
Pilot reported as a great bloke and someone who put the community first and a veteran CFA member.

Since he was was delivering parts for a helicopter on a fire ground perhaps his public spirit clouded his judgement...

Mickjoebill

Homesick-Angel
25th Oct 2013, 01:28
Since he was was delivering parts for a helicopter on a fire ground perhaps his public spirit clouded his judgement...

The thing is, he was on his way back, not to the Heli's.

If he'd waited until the afternoon, There may well have been a different outcome.