PDA

View Full Version : A320 Engine Anti Ice N1 limits

HIro
23rd Oct 2013, 06:08
On the A320, why does the MAX N1 Limit slightly decrease with Engine Anti Ice selected on? :confused:

rudderrudderrat
23rd Oct 2013, 08:59
Hi H1ro,

If you look at FCOM, Performance, Maximum Take Off, you will see tables of maximum N1 versus Temperature and Pressure Altitude. There is no correction to N1 for Engine Anti ice until ISA + 30 or temp above "corner point". (Probably due to EGT limit)

Are you noticing the reduction in N1 during Flex Take Offs with an assumed temperature above ISA + 30?

mikedreamer787
23rd Oct 2013, 16:13
Which engine?

tdracer
23rd Oct 2013, 17:47
If the A320 is anything like Boeing, there is a bleed 'debit' to the max rating - the more bleed you pull of the engine, the lower the max rating (to protect EGT and rotor redlines). EAI takes a significant amount of bleed.

Since EAI is normally only used at lower temperatures, on some engines the EAI debit is zero unless the OAT is above some limit.

HIro
24th Oct 2013, 03:09
Thanks everyone for the information! I'm studying for my ground school that's coming up so I haven't had a chance to fly the plane yet. I just read about the decreased MAX N1 limit on a systems guide and got curious.