PDA

View Full Version : Question about Eurofighter Typhoon

WAFU_
22nd Oct 2013, 11:57
Hi all,

Hopefully this is the right forum, I did check the spectator's one but thought this forum might be more relevant for the question.

The Eurofighte Typhoon on display at Duxford has two orange/yellow stickers underneith the canopy on either side of the aircraft, does anyone know what these mean?

I have asked some RAF visitors but they don't know either, the aircraft was a training aircraft and hasn't seen any action so I don't think they're kill or missile tallies.

http://www.key.aero/central/images/gallery/293.jpg

The two orange stickers are shown on the canopy edge here just under the glass (not the red triangles, the orange rocket shaped things above the head of the chap in the rear seat).

Thanks for your help.

Kind regards,

WAFU

Wrathmonk
22nd Oct 2013, 12:07
"Accidental kills" on Jindiviks (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GAF_Jindivik) out of Aberporth?

melmothtw
22nd Oct 2013, 12:07
Mirach target drone 'kills' perhaps?

500N
22nd Oct 2013, 12:18
I happened to notice this on the web site that photo is on.

"Shortly after on April 9 Craig Penrice, with WSO Stan Ralph, successfully carried out the first fully-guided firing of an AIM-120 AMRAAM at the QinetiQ range at Benbecula in the Hebrides, where a Mirach subsonic target was successfully tracked and targeted. The AMRAAM, which carried a telemetry package rather than a warhead, scored a direct hit, shooting the Mirach down into a safe area in the Atlantic Ocean."

It doesn't say anything about a second one.

gr4techie
22nd Oct 2013, 12:21
a long shot guess, but if it's from the OEU it could have fired two stormshadow?

Some Tornado GR4's had markings for how many paveway dropped and brimstone fired.

Thrust Augmentation
22nd Oct 2013, 12:32
Possibly the 2nd (& 3rd one);

"On March 15th 2005 it was announced that Typhoon DA4, piloted by BAE Systems Chief Test Pilot Paul Hopkins with Dave Sully in the rear seat, had participated in AMRAAM trials at the QinetiQ Deep Sea Range at Benbecula in the Outer Hebrides.
The profile for this test required the Typhoon to track two Mirach targets by radar, to simulate an attack on one using a captive AMRAAM missile while simultaneously attacking the second with an active missile. The active AMRAAM scored a direct hit on the target and destroyed it."

Certainly don't look like AMRAAM's though (Or Storm Shadow, or Jindivik)?

Frostchamber
22nd Oct 2013, 13:25
FWIW Mirach gets my vote

http://media.defenceindustrydaily.com/images/AIR_UAT_Mirach_Target_lg.jpg

Thrust Augmentation
22nd Oct 2013, 13:48
Frostchamber has it by the looks :ok:

Too busy thinking about the weapon rather than the target......:zzz:

500N
22nd Oct 2013, 14:03
Er, melmothtw (http://www.pprune.org/members/148503-melmothtw) got it in post #3 :rolleyes:

Which is what allowed me to search and find the web site.

Frostchamber
22nd Oct 2013, 14:12
Indeed - sorry, i should have made clear that I was offering my two pennorth and the pic in support of what Melmoth and 500N had already said :)

WAFU_
22nd Oct 2013, 15:01
Thank you very much for your replies guys this one had me stumped. It's interesting that the score tally is shown on both sides of the canopy where traditionally, AFAIK, tallies were only marked on one side of the aircraft.

Thanks again.

-Wafu

Buster Hyman
22nd Oct 2013, 23:07
"Load missiles this way" perhaps?

bakseetblatherer
23rd Oct 2013, 01:22
That is really stretching putting training target kill markers on :rolleyes:

500N
23rd Oct 2013, 01:27
bakseet

Probably on the basis they were the only one's that particular jet was ever going to get considering it would never be a front line jet.

N2erk
23rd Oct 2013, 01:29
A kill's a kill! (isn't that the old saying??):O

Buster Hyman
23rd Oct 2013, 04:16
Universal symbol for Nerds in cockpit maybe?

27mm
23rd Oct 2013, 09:10
One of our trusty FGR2 steeds on 92 Sqn (XV422 "O") had 2 stencils on her; one for the Bruggen Jag and the other for a Jindi....:hmm:

Wrathmonk
23rd Oct 2013, 10:28
And IIRC a Tatty Ton Canberra had a dayglo Lightning above the crew door following this accident:

.... F.6 XR763, 'AP' of 5 Sqn. The accident happened on 1 July 1987 whilst the Squadron was detached to Akrotiri in Cyprus for its annual APC. After the third pass at the towed target banner, the pilot, Charlie Chan, was performing his breakaway manoeuvre when the banner spreader bar wheel (which had been shot from its mounting during the third and final pass) was ingested into the air intake. Heading back to base on one engine, and with only about 2.5 miles to go to the Akrotiri runway, XR763 finally 'gave in' and the pilot was forced to abandon the aircraft.

BEagle
23rd Oct 2013, 13:24
At Deci in the early 1980s, the VC10 which was to take us home from ACMI managed to take out the rudder of one of our jets with its wingtip....:hmm:

As the Boss commented in the F540 '10 Sqn was NOT awarded the kill!'. Some speed tape fixed the '10, but the F-4 needed a new rudder...:uhoh:

EAP86
23rd Oct 2013, 19:45
I think I recognise the man in the rear seat, initials CA. Anybody confirm?

500N
23rd Oct 2013, 19:52
"Sqn Ldr C A formally hands over ZH590 to the IWM."

The other caption is
"The Director of Imperial War Museum Duxford, Richard Ashton, checks out the front seat of Typhoon DA4"

I thought I put a link to the web site before but somehow it didn't show up
so here it is again.

FlyPast: Duxford’s new Typhoon (http://www.flypast.com/view_article.asp?ID=5972&pubID=1&t=0&s=0&p=1&i=&v=mobile)

500N
23rd Oct 2013, 20:04
If you want, I will delete it but that caption is on at least two different PUBLIC web sites I have read, the original one where I got my quote from the and link just posted.

If it's already in the public domain multiple times ?????????

Here is the Original web site I found it on.

The RAF web site showing this aircraft's movement to Duxford quotes
the name of the Station Commander.

Duxford’s new Typhoon: key.Aero, Historic Aviation (http://www.key.aero/view_article.asp?ID=5972&thisSection=historic)

500N
23rd Oct 2013, 20:09
My apologise about the ramble, it seems the poster with the question deleted it.