View Full Version : Ouch, this has got to hurt, feats they thought they'd never walk away from.

NutLoose
22nd Oct 2013, 11:13
And you thought your minor scrapes were bad, read this site to put them in context, will give a few examples

The Free Fall Research Page: Unlucky Skydivers (http://www.greenharbor.com/fffolder/unlucky.html)

In April of 1944, Joe Herman was the pilot of a Royal Australian Air Force Halifax on a mission to bomb munition factories at Bochum. After dropping its bombs, Herman's Halifax was struck by enemy fire. Herman ordered his crew to bail out. Before he could grab his parachute, the plane exploded and he was thrown into the air. In mid-air, he collided with John Vivash, the mid-upper gunner, and grabbed onto Vivash's left leg around the same time as Vivash was opening his parachute. The parachute inflated slowly, which helped Herman maintain his grasp on Vivash. The two men came down safely under Vivash's parachute.

Malindi, Kenya: In October of 2004 Irish Guard Lt. Charlie Williams fell 3,500 feet headfirst with his feet caught in the cords of his tangled parachute. He was unable to pull his reserve. He thought he was going to die but was saved when he plunged through the corrugated roof of a well-placed hut. His injuries: three cracked vertebrae and a dislocated finger.

Fort Bragg, NC: In the summer of 1977, Michael Cox was a Radio-Teletype operator in the 82nd Airborne division. Jumping with a heavy equipment bag from 1,200 feet out of a C-130, Cox hit the side of the plane and spun as he fell, which prevented his parachute from opening properly. With his parachute streaming uselessly above him, he hit the ground in a sandy area. He was knocked out for about 45 minutes, but recovered well enough to hike back to the mustering point where the company commander ordered him to do fifty push-ups for arriving late. Cox collapsed and was taken to the emergency room where he was found to have a neck fracture. He recovered and jumped again about six weeks later.

Four Types
22nd Oct 2013, 11:29
The following site has a list of Top 10 freefall survivors! -

10 Amazing Free Fall Survivors - Oddee.com (free fall, vesna vulovic ) (http://www.oddee.com/item_96967.aspx)

Shackman
22nd Oct 2013, 21:22
There was also a Flight Engineer on Stirlings who was 'ejected' sans parachute when his ac blew up over France, and was an honorary Caterpillar Club member. Unfortunately his name eludes me at the moment, but he was still flying on maritime Shackletons when I joined his crew in 1970. However, his story was told in Gerald Bowman's book on the club, along with those of other honorary members.

The B Word
22nd Oct 2013, 22:33
And Wg Cdr Ken Burns who was blown out of his Lanc by one of his own bombs, fell 18,000ft and awoke in a soft ploughed field minus his hand from the explosion. Burns went on to be patched up by the German docs, repatriated and then became a transport pilot with an artificial hand.

The B Word

Fitter2
23rd Oct 2013, 08:39
There was also a Flight Engineer on Stirlings who was 'ejected' sans
parachute when his ac blew up over France, and was an honorary Caterpillar Club
member. Unfortunately his name eludes me at the moment, but he was still flying
on maritime Shackletons when I joined his crew in 1970. However, his story was
told in Gerald Bowman's book on the club, along with those of other honorary
members.

Historical articles and illustrations » Blog Archive » Sergeant Nick Alkemade fell three miles to earth without a parachute (http://www.lookandlearn.com/blog/18079/sergeant-nick-alkemade-fell-three-miles-to-earth-without-a-parachute/)

PapaDolmio
23rd Oct 2013, 19:50
One of my dads schoolfriends did National Service in Para Reg and survived his chute not opening jumping I guess from 1000ft or so during his training. Apparently he was still conscious after landing and couldn't work out how he was the last man out of the aircraft but the first man on the ground. End of his national service though.