PDA

View Full Version : MIX AND MISMATCH

gulfairs
22nd Oct 2013, 04:41
Here in Godzone we have GA and we have microlights(Class 1 and 2)
The microlight system is more complicated than a Philadelphia Lawyer.
One group is called RAANZ, Recreational Aviation Association of New Zealand,
Then we have SAC, Sport Aviation Corp Ltd.
And then we have the RNZAC, Royal New Zealand Aero Club.
The great thing about this hotchpotch is that none of them recognize the other as being part of a cooperative system.
I have just been rated on a Technam P96 Golf, but the Instructor who gave me a rating can not do a BFR. he is a member of RAANZ, and is not approved to do BFR's
So to get a BFR I have to join SAC which is not near where I reside.
I am also a life Member of an RNZAC aeroclub but their BFR's are not valid for Raanz pilots!
The nearest RNZAC aeroclub to me that operate microlight and certified aircraft is some six hour drive to attend and then 6 hours back.
I am not a beginner, I am an elderly chap with some 15000 hours of which 3000 hours as a flight instructor on GA aircraft, 9000 hrs on heavy jet and the balance on GA aircraft.
Under the dopey system in NZ I am not qualified to fly cross country unless I get a BFR on the Technam, the BFR on the GA aircraft does not count.
I also hold an RPL a Recreation Pilots Licence, similar to the British one but here I am not allowed to: Fly at Night, fly over a built up area unless taking off or landing, not allowed to do aerobatics, not allowed to tow a glider( I can in a Microlight) and I am not allowed to give dual or teach in any manner what so ever,(Even blackboard) because my intellectual ability is reduced by the low standard of medical that is required ( A truck driver licence with passenger endorsement) and I can only carry one passenger.

Its go back to Home and miss three turns and then start again.

GLGR:: ATPL: NZ US UK LUX IR AU.

LadyLlamapilot
22nd Oct 2013, 06:05
I feel your pain. I thought it was a nuisance just keeping on top of BFRs in Australia and NZ to keep everything current, with one country's BFR not being recognised in the other (regardless of both being ICAO signatories).
You have a right royal cluster to battle through to get all the boxes ticked. I thought that new Recreational licence was meant to make things easier not harder.