PDA

View Full Version : Childhood Epilepsy

GazRawly
21st Oct 2013, 15:33
Good afternoon.

I am trying to come to a conclusion as to whether or not it's worth taking a medical and if I can become a Pilot.

I vaguely remember my parents stating that I had a mild form of childhood epilepsy when I was younger and having just visited my doctor I have a better understanding of my history. Still unable to gain full medical history as my files date back to before computer documentation :*

The CAA's website states the following;
(c) Applicants with an established history or clinical diagnosis of:
(1) epilepsy without recurrence after age 5;
(2) epilepsy without recurrence and off all treatment for more than 10 years;

So, would this mean that if the Epilepsy period was after 5 years of age BUT has not occurred for well over the last 10 years then this denies access?

(1) A diagnosis of epilepsy is disqualifying, unless there is unequivocal evidence of a syndrome of benign childhood epilepsy associated with a very low risk of recurrence, and unless the applicant has been free of recurrence and off treatment for more than 10 years. One or more convulsive episodes after the age of 5 are disqualifying. In the case of an acute symptomatic seizure, which is considered to have a very low risk of recurrence, a fit assessment may be considered after neurological review.

From reading this, it seems as though I am immediately disqualified as I was born in 1985, I had mild symptoms in 1992 and the last was in 1995. Do you think it's worth writing to the CAA and confirming this as there has been no symptoms since 1995? When asked, the doctor said that this was benign childhood epilepsy associated with very low risk of recurrence. He kindly printed out my medical from when I applied for my driving licence back in 2003.

:sad:

G-F0RC3
22nd Oct 2013, 11:33
It doesn't look good for you unfortunately. But it might be worth contacting the CAA to be sure anyway? :(

cavortingcheetah
22nd Oct 2013, 16:55
There are a few on these pages who know more about medicine that I and some may express their more expert opinions for you. However only the CAA will be able to answer your real question as to whether it's worth taking a medical.
A Class 1 is not quite the same as a bath tub of course but the CAA do adhere to a ten year protocol which in turn is linked to there having to be a reasonable medically sound explanation for any epileptic fit. Have you really an established history of seizures or have you ever been diagnosed as an epileptic? If you can substantiate the statement that you haven't had a seizure for eighteen years and then only transient as a child, it is surely worth the gamble of the medical fee. Once you've passed the medical you'll be able to start down the road of seeing whether you can become a pilot.
Good luck.

gingernut
2nd Nov 2013, 21:54
Still unable to gain full medical history as my files date back to before computer documentation

You should still be able to obtain your pre-computer notes (Lloyd George) which should contain your records since birth, and any written hospital documentation.

You need to find out who made the diagnosis in the first instance. Unfortunately, the term was sometimes banded around inappropriately - I've even seen a single febrile convulsion labelled as epilepsy.

It would be helpful to obtain information including, type of fit/absence, what happened, and who witnessed it, how long it lasted, were you investigated, fit frequency, were you medicated, when was the last occurence.

Got to the CAA prepared :)

gingernut
2nd Nov 2013, 21:59
ps, ask your gp for you Lloyd George records, most will accept an informal request, or you can apply How do I access my medical records (health records)? - Health questions - NHS Choices (http://www.nhs.uk/chq/pages/1309.aspx?categoryid=68)