PDA

View Full Version : Another FAA TO EASA question

lorbak
20th Oct 2013, 10:28
Hi everybody ,
I'm an airline pilot with FAA ATPL and about 2000 hrs on ERJ170/190.
I'm getting ready to undertake the process of getting my ATPL converted into that EASA one. Reading through the law I understand I can get some exemption on the ground training part. Like I don't have to sit in ground school classes.
I figured out, and please let me know if I'm wrong that the steps I have to take are as follow:
- pass 14 knowledge tests
- get a first class medical cert
- pass a skill test on the simulatorERJ170

My question is:
Can I do this all process on my own or do I need to go through an ATO?
Can I self certify in order to book a knowledge testing session or do I still have to be presented by an ATO?
Do I need to get my first class medical before taking the knowledge tests or can I do all the theoretical part and then get the medical before the skill test on the sim?

Thanks much in advance to anyone taking the time to answer my questions

zondaracer
20th Oct 2013, 14:08
You can self certify without an ATO and you can do the medical before or after exams but highly recommended that you get the medical done before attempting anything.

lorbak
20th Oct 2013, 14:11
Thank you zondaracer, I appreciated your info

Grumbler
20th Oct 2013, 17:12
You can't do the 14 ATPL exams (UK CAA) if you are not enrolled with a school/ATO Everybody needs to apply for the exams through a approved school, but you can do the studying as distance learning.

zondaracer
20th Oct 2013, 20:08
Not correct Grumbler. An ICAO ATPL holder with 500 hours on a multi crew airplane plus meeting the the requirements for an EASA ATPL does not need to be enrolled with a formal ground school and may self certify for the ATPL exams, even in the UK.

RedBullGaveMeWings
20th Oct 2013, 20:56
Multi-Pilot Aircraft Type Rated Pilots

If you are converting a non EASA ATPL IR with a valid type rating on a multi-pilot aircraft, you must pass all 14 ground exams but don’t need to attend a formal ground school course. You will also need to pass an ATPL skills test, which is a combination handling check and IR, on the aircraft you are type rated on.

Fixed-Wing Aircraft Licences

To convert an ICAO CPL(A) to an EASA ATPL(A) you will need 1500 hours flight time, including:

500 hours on multi-pilot aircraft;
250 hours pilot in command (or 500 hours pilot on command under supervision; or 70 hours pilot in command and 180 hours pilot in command under supervision);
200 hours cross country;
75 hours instrument time; and
100 hours night flying.

If you don’t have this level of experience you can still do the conversion but you will be issued an EASA CPL(A). When you meet the experience requirements you can upgrade it to an ATPL(A).

Flying Requirements

There are two tests you will need to complete, The CPL Skills Test and the Instrument Rating (IR). The CPL skills test is a handling check flown on a complex aircraft, defined as an aircraft with retractable gear and a variable pitch prop. If you are converting a CPL(A), there is no formal training requirement before you attempt the CPL Skills Test, but you will probably need 10 to15 hours to get used to the profile and the aircraft. If you already hold an ICAO IR(A), you must complete at least 15 hours before the IR test, up to 10 of which can be flown in the simulator. It’s unusual for a conversion to be achieved in the minimum time. If you have never held an Instrument Rating, you must complete 45 hours of training before the test, up to 30 hours of which can be done in a simulator. When comparing prices for CPL training or an IR course, look deeper than the hourly rate; some schools charge only airborne time, some add a fixed element to account for taxiing time, some charge on engine running time and instrument approach fees may or may not be included. After completing the instrument rating, your final task is a Multi-Crew Cooperation (MCC) course. Most airlines expect you to complete MCC training before they will consider you for a job. An MCC course is not required if you have spent more than 500 hours operating multi pilot aircraft.

ATPL & CPL Conversions (Aircraft & Helicopter) | Bristol Groundschool (http://www.bristol.gs/atpl-cpl-conversions-aircraft-helicopter/)

squall1984
21st Oct 2013, 04:39
Hey,

I'm in the final stage of doing this,5000 odd total and 2000 jet on crj. You don't need to go thru anyone for the exemption because of your flight time. I would suggest oxford DVDs for gen nav and maybe flight planning, otherwise it's not a issue. The expensive part is the simulator and getting a approved examiner to oversee the skills test. In my case I need to fly out a caa examiner to Germany to observe it and the wait time for that is 11-12 weeks....plus sim is 750€ a hour. Think there are 170 sims in uk if that's who you want your cert issued by.

paco
21st Oct 2013, 05:29
You would be very unwise to take the exams straight off without some sort of expert preparation.

You will not pass the exams on knowledge alone.

Linda Mollison
21st Oct 2013, 08:02
Red Bull said:

If you are converting a CPL(A), there is no formal training requirement before you attempt the CPL Skills Test, but you will probably need 10 to15 hours to get used to the profile and the aircraft.

This is not quite right. The CAA issued Information Notice number 134 recently which predefines the number of hours training required based upon the pilots experience. Lorbak will therefore have to do a minimum of 7 hours.

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/sarg_IN2013_134_v1_August%202013.pdf

Interesting that the CAA have predefined hours based upon experience for the CPL, but a set number of hours for the IR regardless of experience.

squall1984
21st Oct 2013, 20:35
Well I used the question banks ...thats all I needed and Im no genius, as a FAA ATP holder you should know most of it besides probably Gen Nav, the rest you can use the question banks and you will be fine.

lorbak
23rd Oct 2013, 06:38
Thanks everyone for the useful inputs.
Squall1984 do you mind if I ask you in wich country you did the tests?
I'm Italian but I understand Italy is not the most convenient place to do it.

squall1984
23rd Oct 2013, 12:49
I did mine in Orlando FL. CAAinternational.com has a list of countries

squall1984
23rd Oct 2013, 12:51
Click on "our services" then take exam and then fcl