PDA

View Full Version : CPL / SEP - keeping them current

DiamondC
20th Oct 2013, 09:38
I will be getting my first CAA/JAA/EASA licence in the next few weeks: CPL(A) - SEP. (Previously I was flying on my FAA PPL.)

I have read CAP 804 to check what is needed to keep my licence current and want to make sure I have understood correctly.

1. The CPL doesn't expire. Is this correct?

2. The SEP is valid for two years. To keep it current I have to do 6 hours PIC and 12 TOs & LDGs and 1 hour training flight within the 12 months before the expiry date. Is this correct? Do the TOs & LDGs need to be PIC? (I'm thinking some of them might be part of the training flight.)

The alternative would be a proficiency check with an examiner in the last 3 months before expiry or (if it has already expired) refresher training and a proficiency check with an examiner. What is involved in the proficiency check - is it at a similar level to the PPL / CPL skill test?

3. If I get another class rating (e.g. MEP, IR, ...), I am exempt from the training flight but still need to fulfil the 6 hours PIC and 12 TO & LDGs (in SEP). Is this correct?

M-ONGO
20th Oct 2013, 10:37
I will be getting my first CAA/JAA/EASA licence in the next few weeks: CPL(A) - SEP. (Previously I was flying on my FAA PPL.)

Point 1 - It'll be an EASA licence. EASA licences don't expire.

Point 2 - incorrect, you've missed a key element.

Point 3 - incorrect. As above.

GipsyMagpie
20th Oct 2013, 12:32
That bit is at least easy enough.

SRG 1157 (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/SRG1157webenabled1.pdf)

This is the examiner's form. Essentially the same test whether your rating has expired or not. However, get the wrong examiner and he can do the lot (including non-mandatory sections). If you are renewing with just mandatory bits (M) you can be done in 30 mins or so. Different licence, different time - who knows.

Another_CFI
20th Oct 2013, 22:05
All examiners include at least one non-mandatory item - Section 1.6 the take-off since whilst this is not mandatory omission of this item makes the remainder of the test difficult to conduct.