PDA

View Full Version : MP vs SP in new Part FCL regulation

Milo C
17th Oct 2013, 13:22
I have recently changed my old JAR FCL ATPL licence to a new Part FCL one.
Now my CAA has included MP (multipilot) to the type rating, that is a ME (multiengine) SP and MP certified helicopter.

My question is... does it mean that I'm due to fly always with a copilot? Or does the MP rating include also the SP?

I know I can ask to the CAA, but before that I prefer to have a good picture of the issue.

I've been reading the Aircrew regulation but I'm confused. :confused:

Can anyone give me a cue?

Thanks in advance

QTG
17th Oct 2013, 15:07
If your type rating is certified "MP", then MP it is. If you wish to fly the aircraft SP as well, the type rating must say "SP/MP". You need to do an approved course at an ATO to "upgrade" either way.

Milo C
17th Oct 2013, 15:37
The fact is that in the JAR FCL licence nothing was specified about SP/MP. My original TR was done SP, but nothing written in the licence, and later on, with the required expirience and an MCC course, I could operate MP.
Now I did my renewal in MP so they wrote that in the licence.

Am I lost the SP rating?
Am I restricted now?

I see there is cross crediting for the IR part from MP to SP but what happens with the rest in order to revalidate? Do I need to perform two checks every year, one SP and other MP?

I'm flying normally in MP environment, and in the Skill test for MP I have to demonstrate the ability to fly single in case of other pilot incapacitation....so to be MP I understand it should be mandatory to be SP first....

As you may see... I'm still confused...:confused:

Thanks for your answer

QTG
17th Oct 2013, 16:19
You don't say what National Authority you are dealing with, but if they are anything like the UK CAA, I wish you luck. What has probably happened is the examiner who did your last revalidation only ticked the MP box on his report form. Could it be that your last LPC was only conducted MP? Either way, you will only be granted the "privilege" indicated on your LPC report.

If you do manage to get both SP and MP on your licence, yes, you will have to be checked annually in both roles to maintain currency.

Milo C
17th Oct 2013, 17:53
yes, that's exactly what happened.
So, will it be enough to tick both SP and MP boxes during the same proficiency check? or is it necessary to perform two different flights?

Anyway. Do you know if there is any document where all this is explained in detail?

Appreciate your comments
Thanks

Jet Ranger
17th Oct 2013, 18:09
We are also a little bit confused with new EASA world.

If we understand correctly (for instance in case of B412), it is a multi-eng SP certified helicopter, and when you make your type-rating, you are allowed to fly her single-pilot. But, for CAT over 9 (or so) pax, she must be operated MP.

MP is up-grade (which you can make after you complete MCC or posses ATPL licence); and later on you make extension to MP during the proficiency check. It is a privilege to fly that helicopter in multi-crew operations in commercial air transport.

So, I think that you didnīt loose anything.

(but I would like if somebody can explain all that issues, especially differences between SP and MP type rating on AW139)

JR

Curtis E Carr
18th Oct 2013, 08:08
Whilst you (still) do not say which country issued your licence, this (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/sarg_lts_%20IN%20MP%20SP%20helicopter%20v1_July%2013v1.pdf) issued by the UK CAA may help.

Curtis E Carr
18th Oct 2013, 08:26
And also this (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/srg_lts_14%20Hv2_Dec12.pdf)

Milo C
18th Oct 2013, 16:46
Thank you very much Curtis. I haven't an UK Licence but these criteria make sense to me. I hope also to the rest of authorities if we want to have a real European Standardized System.

paragraphs 3.10.4 and 4.8.4 in the second document are specially clarifying.

Sumarizing I understad that in order to have a MP rating you can follow two paths:
-SP rating + SP to MP course so you will have TYPE/IR/SP/MP
-MP rating directly so TYPE/IR/MP (and you will be limited to fly always with a colleague on the left)

Then, in the first case, to revalidate, you just need to do a Proficiency Check for MP, and adding some maneouvres performed like SP. The examiner tick both boxes and that's all.

So I'll try to recover my missed SP and then everything seems to be easy.

Thanks a lot, again.

funfinn2000
12th Oct 2020, 09:19
Hi I cant find that CAA document, its no longer available

can you share again please

18th Oct 2020, 17:31
yes, that's exactly what happened.
So, will it be enough to tick both SP and MP boxes during the same proficiency check? or is it necessary to perform two different flights?
Anyway. Do you know if there is any document where all this is explained in detail?
Appreciate your comments
Thanks
In the fixed wing world, you usually revalidate in the sim. You start the session with a fellow pilot to revalidate the MP part of your rating, and if you need a SP revalidation, you add circa 20 mn as a single pilot to fly the relevant items.

212man
18th Oct 2020, 20:17
In the fixed wing world, you usually revalidate in the sim. You start the session with a fellow pilot to revalidate the MP part of your rating, and if you need a SP revalidation, you add circa 20 mn as a single pilot to fly the relevant items.
Same in rotary world