PDA

View Full Version : JeppFD Troubleshooting

Ok135
16th Oct 2013, 07:08
Hi,

I'm a pilot of Boeing 737-800, and I have Ipad2 (3G model with GPS).
My Question is about JeppFD pro app for Ipad.
I'm trying to view the ownship marker on the enroute charts but the GPS signal is invalid while the aircraft is at cruising level and I can't see the ownship arrow. On ground I see the ownship arrow on taxi charts and on enroute map but in the air- I don't.
Did anyone manage to solve this problem and display the ownship marker continuesly during cruise?
I don't want it for "operational use" for aircraft operation- I want just to get some extra information which the FMC's unable to provide..
Thank you

Yancey Slide
16th Oct 2013, 12:37
I haven't tried it myself yet but I think you need a standalone bluetooth GPS receiver like a Garmin GLO paired to the iPad to feed it GPS signal. I don't think the internal one gets enough signal to correctly work inside the aircraft. I'll have to break mine out and play with it.

Skyjob
16th Oct 2013, 13:28
It is indeed the perceived GPS signal quality that creates this problem at altitude.
Should the same iPad be used from takeoff onward, the issue in cruise may not be apparent.
The initial GPS location acquisition needs to be made, something any Apple device has trouble with when attempting it in cruise. Once acquired, it works a dream.

Recommendation for using an external GPS is so you do not need to rely on the iPad GPS internally, which creates this problem.

Solutions for now:
1 - mount Pad and have it receive GPS signals from departure onwards;
2 - use external GPS;
3 - have Apple improve its GPS location acquisition at altitude and speed, maybe as a software fix, if not a hardware fix for next generation iPad.

inbalance
16th Oct 2013, 14:01
If you put the Ipad in Flight mode, the GPS will be swiched off.

goeasy
16th Oct 2013, 14:14
Yes, once window heat activates, the GPS signal is almost lost. I use GNS1000 in rear side window, which is min heated.

FerrypilotDK
17th Oct 2013, 01:23
In our aircraft, it is the window heat as well. As soon as it comes on, the GPS signal is lost. The little receivers sit far forward and seem to be able to receive even with the heat on.

LimaFoxTango
17th Oct 2013, 02:16
If ownship is displayed enroute then it should be displayed on the charts provided its enabled. To enable it, pull up any approach chart, select GPS Status and turn on "Ownship on Approach". As per JeppFD, minimum required accuracy for enroute is 200m, approach is 50m and taxi is 17m. If greater, ownship is not displayed.