PDA

View Full Version : Pilot training and conversion from South Africa CAA to EASA License

Yp12
14th Oct 2013, 22:30
Hi all,

To begin with, I am a from the UK looking to do my Pilot training up to Commercial. I started here in the UK and due to the weather I haven't really progressed. After speaking to a few people and recommendations I have come across a school in South Africa named; 43 Air School. I have seen the courses offered and would like to start with a PPL with the possibility of continuing it further up to commercial (depending on how I find it in South Africa). However to do it there I would need to do it according to the South African CAA. If I wanted to convert it to an EASA licence (PPL/CPL) what would I need to do. I have looked at the UK CAA site but I cant seem to figure it out. If anyone has been there and/or done a conversion from SA CAA to EASA, could you please advise me on what you did. OR if anyone has an idea about it or other suggestions please feel free to tell me. I would really appreciate any advice.

PigeonVoyageur
15th Oct 2013, 15:02
To convert an ICAO licence to an EASA one, you will need to re-sit your CPL and ME/IR skill tests with a minimum of hours flying at a European flight school. Depending on where you do this in Europe, it can cost you from £4,000 to £8,000 for the conversion - Poland, Lituania or the Eastern European countries will cost less. These are just ballpark figures, I haven't been to each school's site to find out the exact amount. Plus get your EASA Class 1 medical. Don't do your ATPL in SA, else you will have to re-sit all 14 exams for the EASA ATPL.

booze
21st Oct 2013, 12:50
Hi,

I've done my SACAA to UKCAA convex a few years back in Bristol, UK. ATPL distance learning package/groundschool with bristol.gs, then the flying part with Bristol Aviation. Was expensive, but well worth it. Excellent team.

Should be cheaper in Eastern Europe though. Check out Malev Aero Club, CAVOK and Pannon Air in Hungary as well as Lets Fly in the Czech Rep.

Szeller
31st Dec 2013, 05:40
Do any of you know what requirements are needed of a South African license to work in the USA, Asia or Middle East?

I am planning to work mainly in Asia or Middle East, and I am doing my license in Cape Town up to an ATPL.

Anything will help.

Thank you.