PDA

View Full Version : Difference between STAR with BRNAV, RNAV Transition

Breakthesilence
14th Oct 2013, 18:45
Hi guys,

looking at the Dusseldorf Jeppesen chart, you see we can find 2 kind of arrivals procedures; I'd like to know the difference between them but pay attention to the tricky condition (it's not just comparing a conventional one to a RNAV one, that's why I'm writing); here 2 examples:

1) Headed "STAR" at the top right corner, we have different arrivals listed in the middle of the chart:

BIKMU ONE X-RAY (BIKMU 1X)
DOMUX TWO X-RAY (DOMUX 2X) [DOMU2X]
LIMA NINE X-RAY (LMA 9X)
TEBRO ONE X-RAY (TEBRO 1X) [TEBR1X]
XAMOD TWO X-RAY (XAMOD 2X)[XAMO2X]

RWYS 05L/R ARRIVALS
[B]B-RNAV EQUIPMENT NECESSARY

2) Headed "RNAV TRANSITION" and in the middle:

TEBRO ~5 [TEB~5]
XAMOD ~5 [XAM~5]
RWYS 05L/R
RNAV TRANSITIONS

FROM NORTH

GPS- OR FMS-EQUIPPED AIRCRAFT

USE OF RNAV TRANSITION
ONLY WHEN CLEARED BY ATC

The question is, being the BRNAV required for all the directions in the STAR arrival, why this one is not called RNAV but just STAR?

Is it because the STAR one may be performed by all kind of BRNAV airplanes while the RNAV TRANSITION may only be flown by GPS - FMS aircrafts?

Thank you

Westnest
14th Oct 2013, 19:19
Interesting. Yes, most probably considering the general aviation aircraft which is far to making a RNAV transition. But don't stuck on the etymology, since the approach cycle is clear.

Breakthesilence
14th Oct 2013, 19:26
Also, the fix symbol is a the triangle in the STAR and the classic star-shaped waypoint symbol for the RNAV TRANSITION.

flyer696
28th Nov 2013, 16:05
So to sum up what is the most important difference between STAR and Transition? STAR can be flown using B-RNAV, P-RNAV or classic Radio Nav (everything according to the particular STAR and requirements stated) and Transitions are designed to be flown only using GPS/FMS because they always use RNAV waypoints?

Am I right or not really? Looking through internet for the correct answer and it's hard to find.