PDA

View Full Version : visa's

SPIT
14th Oct 2013, 16:29
Just a quick question, When you go to the USA you have to have a VISA but when an American Citizen comes to the UK they do not need one so WHY is this ?????? :mad::mad:

renfrew
14th Oct 2013, 16:55
Technically you don't need a visa for the States.
Previously there was the visa waiver scheme and now Esta.

Capetonian
14th Oct 2013, 17:00
You might find the answer in the threads referring to the volume of undesirables in the UK, many of whom hold British passports (some fake, some real but illegally acquired).

The USA is rather more cautious about whom it allows onto its territory.

Visa requirements are often reciprocal, but as an example, whilst South Africans require a visa to go the UK and most of Europe, UK and EU citizens do not require a visa for South Africa.

Groundloop
15th Oct 2013, 09:04
I have not bothered with a visa for going to the States for years now.

Never had a problem.

Anyway I use MasterCard.:ok:

Hartington
15th Oct 2013, 11:02
Technically you don't need a visa for the States.
Previously there was the visa waiver scheme and now Esta.

That's not totally true. There are certain categories of visitors who hold UK passports who still need visas. Journalists and almost any category of "entertainer" need a visa. I also know someone who works in the defence industry here in the UK who has a visa because of his position.

As for why we allow USAsians in without a visa you might ask the same question about a range of countries. In the end, I suspect it's about risk. If "they" think people from a particular country represent a risk of not returning home then insisting on a visa is a way to check them out a bit before they turn up on the doorstep.

intortola
15th Oct 2013, 13:30
You also need a VISA if you are entering the USA on a non approved carrier, I quite often enter the US Virgin Islands by private boat transfer so have a VISA in my British passport. Visa waiver or ESTA is only on approved carriers.

Capetonian
15th Oct 2013, 15:40
There are also certain categories of British passport which require a visa. GBR is normal British passport issued to a British citizen. Other categories, as below, may not qualify under ESTA.

GBR BRITISH CITIZEN
GBD BRITISH DEPENDENT TERRITORIES CITIZEN
GBN BRITISH NATIONAL OVERSEAS)
GBO BRITISH OVERSEAS CITIZEN
GBP BRITISH PROTECTED PERSON
GBS BRITISH SUBJECT
PCN PITCAIRN CITIZEN
SGS SOUTH GEORGIA AND THE SOUTH SANDWICH ISLANDS CITIZEN

N779UA
15th Oct 2013, 16:29
You do need a Visa to visit the UK. However, due to the reciprocal arrangements where the USA had the "Visa Waiver" and now has the ESTA system, the UK Border Agency will, usually, issue a six month Visa to a US citizen upon arrival.

There are cases where such a visa will not be issued immediately upon arrival, for example Duane Chapman (aka Dog the Bounty Hunter) was denied entry based on a 1970 murder conviction, and summarily deported. I know of an occasion where someone was detained at the border for a couple of hours while enquiries were made. These situations are unusual.

EISNN
18th Oct 2013, 07:39
Journalists and almost any category of "entertainer" need a visa. I also know someone who works in the defence industry here in the UK who has a visa because of his position.

Yes the visa required is a B-1 visa. It's required if you are a non resident on business for a temporary period of time. Up to 90 days I believe but I stand to be corrected on this. If you intend to be a permanent immigrant on business/working in the US there is another Visa required but i can't remember which one it is.

If you are a tourist however, the ESTA essentially waivers you on unless

1) you've been 'naughty' :E and have a police file/record that doesn't flatter your character or

2) if you've outstayed your welcome in the USA previously.

Bealzebub
21st Oct 2013, 14:10
As has already been said you do not need a visa for the USA if you are a citizen of a country participating in the Visa Waiver Program (VWP) such as the UK. Qualification under this program is generally for a maximum of 90 days and is restricted to those activities that broadly fall within the category of the "B" visa's. An ESTA is simply the pre-approved electronic authorization that needs to be completed as part of the travel process under the VWP. In the UK it costs $14 and is usually valid for 2 years provided the same passport remains valid for that period and the applicant continues to qualify throughout the relevant period.

Further to the comments above, you do not qualify if you have ever been arrested. That is irrespective of the fact that the arrest didn't result in a conviction, caution or any other action. It could have been completely erroneous, that neither matters, nor is it subject to such "foreign" laws as the Rehabilitation of offenders act. If you have ever been arrested, you need a visa.

From the US embassy website:
The Visa Waiver Program (VWP) allows citizens of participating countries to travel to the United States without a visa for stays of 90 days or less, when they meet all requirements. Travelers must be eligible to use the VWP and have a valid Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) approval prior to travel. If you are eligible to travel on the VWP, but prefer to have a visa in your passport, you may still apply for a visitor (B) visa.
Travelers with arrests/conviction(s)
We do not recommend that travelers who have been arrested at anytime attempt to travel visa free under the Visa Waiver Program(VWP); they are required to apply for visas before traveling. If the arrest resulted in a conviction, the individual may require a special restricted visa in order to travel. The Rehabilitation of Offenders Act does not apply to United States visa law. Therefore, even travelers with a spent conviction are not eligible to travel visa free; they must apply for B-1 or B-2 visas. If they attempt to travel under the VWP, they may be refused entry into the United States.

Espada III
22nd Oct 2013, 05:12
Not that I have,but how do immigration at a US airport know a person has been arrested in the UK?

Octane
22nd Oct 2013, 07:32
Espada,

Don't you watch the news?!

Thanks to Assange, Snowdon et al we now know "they" know everything...
Thanks to google they even know what your house looks like.
Don't do anything silly now, they'll be there!
Don't take it too seriously, just behave :}