PDA

View Full Version : A320 Ram Air / valve /switch / function / reason

Natstrackalpha
13th Oct 2013, 08:57
Can any A320 current answer this, please . .

What does the Ram Air do when switch is selected to open Ram Air Valve

What is the Ram Air for?

[I thought it was for air inlet in the event of a pack failure, total pack failure.]

I also thought it was for fast smoke removal (in case somebody had burnt the dinner in the galley . . .etc)

Does/will having the Ram Air . . . open / letting in air, affect or do anything to the Cabin pressure significantly/critically . . ?

Thank you for your time - am not trying to put you on the spot I just cannot figure out ram air. or find it anywhere, yet.

rudderrudderrat
13th Oct 2013, 09:05
Hi Natstrackalpha,
What does the Ram Air do when switch is selected to open Ram Air Valve (please . . don`t say open the valve . . )
Allows ram air to flow through the pack inter cooler ducting into the cabin (without going through the pack).
What is the Ram Air for?
Conditioning the cabin when de-pressurised and no pack operation.

[I thought it was for air inlet in the event of a pack failure, total pack failure.]Correct or deliberate turn off of packs.

I also thought it was for fast smoke removal (in case somebody had burnt the dinner in the galley . . .etc)
Faster smoke removal using pack on high flow - but if smoke is coming from both packs then it is an alternative method.

Does/will having the Ram Air . . . open / letting in air, affect or do anything to the Cabin pressure significantly/
Oh Yes! (Thanks Churchill) Zero delta pressure.

Natstrackalpha
13th Oct 2013, 09:14
Rudderrat,

Thank you for your response, much appreciated?

I don`t see the significance of Churchill? If this a ***s take because I`m thick? Not all Brits are thick, am the only one in the country.

In which case (ref: paranoia above . . ) - one does assume then that the massive input of pressure from the bleeds - in order to pressurise the aicraft under normal conditions, cannot/will not be met by the Ram Air . . System.

Just taking my fluffy thick brain a walk through potential knowledge: . .

One can assume then that with all pressurisation normal - opening the ram air for absolutely no reason would cause a depressurisation ,despite the fact that air is entering the ram air sys at 420kts . . ?

ok, thanks. Have a great day!

rudderrudderrat
13th Oct 2013, 09:30
Hi Natstrackalpha,
If this a ***s take because I`m thick?
Since you live not far from the edge of the Milky Way Galaxy in the Orion Arm, we must be neighbours!
Here on planet earth there is a television advert for Churchill Insurance which has a large dog which says "Oh yes!" frequently. Sorry if my miserable attempt at some humour failed.
opening the ram air for absolutely no reason would cause a depressurisation Oh yes!

Natstrackalpha
13th Oct 2013, 09:37
LOL, oh gottit!!

(see, I told you I wuz fik!)

By de vay, I looked up . . .etc and inadvertantly re-found the old A320 AOM.

Thanks once again . . .!! (on a Sunday too! . .shocking . . )