PDA

View Full Version : survival skills

N2erk
12th Oct 2013, 17:00
Anyone have a survival booklet diagram of the "ojibwa bird snare" that we were taught to build in (combat) survival, when in aircrew training? I cant see a diagram in AP3456vol6, nor in the little 'arctic survival' booklets we had or in a Canadian CAP361 land & sea emergencies. I have seen diagrams on the web.
I don't want to trap birds, but grandson has a school project to make a "native (Indian/aboriginal/first-nations)" pre viking/columbian item. That spring into mind (out of nowhere) and sounded easy. thx in advance.....:)

Pontius Navigator
12th Oct 2013, 17:34
http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CDEQtwIwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D-68EkgyxnpU&ei=AYhZUu-TKouN0wXplYG4DA&usg=AFQjCNHAM9ZiF0fzz4ixW6swxAbTaZ2dtA&sig2=X7KXXnBmcQLBfF0vjvjBFA&bvm=bv.53899372,d.d2k

Google?

Wholigan
12th Oct 2013, 18:05
Or if you "don't want to trap birds" you could teach him something useful like the Dakota Hole.

Pontius Navigator
12th Oct 2013, 19:01
Wholighan, fun you should mention that. On one exercise a stude sitting on the grass, while the instructor lit a fire on a flat stone in a stream, idly pulled a wild flower. The flower came up to reveal a neat Dakota hole that the instructor had prepared earlier.

Also, this summer, I made my grandson and granddaughter a tepee together with stone buttons. Also a small cooking fire. Unfortunately I was not there when my son-in-law, an ex-rock lit it. He said the fire lasted just over a minute before it burnt out as they had neglected to gather half a wood of fuel :)

BEagle
12th Oct 2013, 19:03
Weren't you paying attention during Combat Survival lectures...???

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/nw969/untitled_zpsb7c47e4a.jpg (http://s14.photobucket.com/user/nw969/media/untitled_zpsb7c47e4a.jpg.html)

1. Birdie lands on perch to grab whatever goodies you've put on the pointy end - note it must be pointy or the bird will sit on it.

2. Weight of bird causes perch to fall out of hole.

3. Loop of wire, previously restrained by perch peg, is now pulled taut by weight on end of wire.

4. Bird is thus trapped by legs.

...is what is supposed to happen. However, zealous survival trainees often made the weight too large, so when they returned, they would find a bird's landing gear, but no bird.....:\

Like all animal snares, don't make one of these unless you have to....:=

barnstormer1968
12th Oct 2013, 19:27
Traps are a bit nasty IMHO.

How about something more positive like a bow drill or fire plough. Of course it depends how old the child is.

CoffmanStarter
12th Oct 2013, 19:37
Slight thread drift ... What's criminal IMHO is the over feeding of reared pheasants this time of the year so that some fat a$$ed Banker can blast the little bu99ers out the sky on a Corporate Shoot with ease ... sport my a$$ :mad:

The secondary effect being that high AUW Game birds can't reach escape velocity as Mrs Coff found out last night with a Cat5 Pheasant strike ... thankfully she was ok so was her car.

Willard Whyte
12th Oct 2013, 20:03
Pheasants are pretty much the stupidest animals alive. They just watch me drive a train at them at 125 mph and make no effort to get out of the way. Sadly no point in stopping to pick up the carcass as they spread themselves rather thinly at that impact speed.

500N
12th Oct 2013, 20:16
Ever tried it Coffman :rolleyes:

CoffmanStarter
12th Oct 2013, 20:21
500N ... Yes old chap I've shot. Dog, gun, wild birds and no Beaters ... That's sport ... As opposed to standing in front of driven obese birds barely capable of flight :suspect:

Pontius Navigator
12th Oct 2013, 20:23
How about a dead fall?

Halton Brat
12th Oct 2013, 20:26
'Fess up time; I was one of those 4FTS Ground School tech instructors, who also taught this stuff on Ex Hawkeye; still using my bird snare every day.................

HB

500N
12th Oct 2013, 20:30
Coff
Good, at least you aren't one who jumps up and down but hasn't tried it.
I do agree, nothing like walk up wild birds. I still don't accept the criticism
though as other significant benefits flow to the environment from the practice.

Dan Gerous
12th Oct 2013, 20:34
You should see the dead pheasants on the roads round here. Raised in farms by the road, then set free to roam, with feeding stations in woods next to roads. Of course the owners put up signs, but a better idea would be to feed them well away from the roads.

They had a shooting club at Lossie back in the late 70's, and they reared their own birds then set them loose in the woods around Kinloss. They would have feeding stations where they could get seed. I had a laugh at the Cpl in charge of my section. When he told me they fed them, I said that's not very nice. You feed them, then one day you turn up, and the birds think, here's Pete with the food, but instead they get the s*** blasted out of them.

CoffmanStarter
12th Oct 2013, 20:35
500N ... Perfectly understood old chap ... My late Grandfather (on my Mothers side) was an old school gamekeeper :ok:

CoffmanStarter
12th Oct 2013, 20:48
But don't get me started on Grey Squirrels ... Nothing but Rats with good PR :mad:

I'll give em Tufty Club http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-violent069.gif

BEagle
12th Oct 2013, 21:00
CoffS - agree with you on this! Blasting overweight and very stupid pheasants is hardly playing the game.

They are VERY stupid though. I was once 'proceeding expeditiously' north on that excellent road between Colsterworth and Byards Leap when a pheasant decided to launch itself at my Opel Manta. With unfortunate accuracy, it struck exactly the corner between the front offside wing, bonnet and front panel, bounced back and snapped off the right wing mirror, followed by the radio antenna - then disappeared over the hedge in a cloud of confusion and feathers. I stopped and turned off the engine, which is when the fun started. Because the previous owner had installed one of those retractable antennae (which were all the rage in the late 1970s) - and it now tried to wind in the wreckage of the antenna, flailing the damn thing against the paintwork. So I grabbed it and then wondered what the heck to do next.... Turn ignition back on, find pair of pliers in boot, cut off antenna, ignition off and listen to antenna motor going nuts until I could find the right fuse.....:uhoh:

And to cap it all, I didn't even have a pheasant to take home to compensate me for about a hundred quid's worth of damage to my car!

But these days I won't kill a grey squirrel or anything else if I can help it - I even find myself opening the window to let flies out....

N2erk
12th Oct 2013, 21:45
Thanks everyone for the help and amazing thread drift. I WAS awake in CS class, otherwise I wouldn't have remembered the name, would I!:O

Anyway the diagram & link fitted what I vaguely remembered. I think he should make bannock instead, personally- better to have something edible. I have sent a link to son/grandson for this excellent thread. They live in Virginia, so a snowhole is definately out, as is an igloo.

Ah wildish pheasants. Thanks for the thread drift- I vividly remember;
flying lowish & slowish on GCA in fine wx approaching CGY and seeing many people out with guns, in the fields, hunting pheasants. They would look up and I always wondered if any would take a potshot at us. Also recall the squished birds littering the rural roads in Lincs, and, when we were served pheasant soup or pheasant was on the menu in the mess, wondering if it was actually road kill. Still can't eat pheasant. :( thanks again all. :D

Dan Winterland
13th Oct 2013, 00:24
Mrs W, many years ago was being driven by a colleague to a meeting from their country office to the head office in the big city. On the way there, they struck on of the aforementioned birds of small brain. The car had a dent, the bird was dead. The colleague picked up the kill thinking that a tasty meal would be some compensation for the damage.

However, the bird wasn't dead, just stunned and came to life in the centre of Norwich flapping around in the estate car. It had to be released, very confused in an environment it clearly wasn't accustomed to. My wife and her colleague arrived at the meeting late, covered in feathers and pheasant poo.

Dan Winterland
13th Oct 2013, 00:31
I remember first hearing about the Ojibwa bird trap from Cranwell's CSRO in the mid 80s, a Nav called Roly. He mentioned that the Ojibwa tribe had all died out, probably from starvation - so it probably wasn't a very good trap. I don't remember it being mentioned in my own CSRO course, but I did have many hangovers on the days we weren't living under a parachute.

Mach Two
13th Oct 2013, 01:53
I wonder why the Ojibwa tribe died out from starvation?

Birthday Boy
13th Oct 2013, 02:50
They can't have died out as I am married to one and have been for 26 years. Also Google tells me that she is not alone, there are about 200,000 Ojibway located around the great lakes.

BEagle
13th Oct 2013, 06:56
My wife and her colleague arrived at the meeting late, covered in feathers and pheasant poo.

Surely that would have been considered 'Normal for Norfolk', Dan?

.....very confused in an environment it clearly wasn't accustomed to.

Having left my car in the 101 car park for a few days whilst I was away on a trip, I then drove home and put it in the garage. The next day, when I opened the garage door, a baby bunny shot out looking rather perplexed... I can only assume that it must have been one of the rabbits from the 101 warren which was exploring the car when I drove off, as the garage is completely rodent-proof. Quite what happened to the bunny, I don't know - it hopped away at a fair old rate into a nearby hedge. No doubt to be greeted by the neighbours' moggies....:uhoh:

Fortunately it hadn't nibbled any wires under the bonnet - unlike a car a German colleague once had. I noted that the radio aerial looked rather mangled and asked him why. "It voss ein Marder", he told me. "Whatever is a 'Marder'?", I asked. He didn't know the English word, but apparently the young of these creatures like nothing better than to pop in to a nice, warm garage to gnaw on cars' wires, tubes, aerials etc. when their teeth grow - preferring more expensive cars such as BMW and M-B over Hondas and VWs. I later found that this mysterious Germanic car-eating animal is, in fact, the Stone Marten, quite common in Europe, but not the UK. Quite playful little buggers when they're not eating cars.

Pontius Navigator
13th Oct 2013, 07:46
I vividly remember;
flying lowish & slowish on GCA in fine wx approaching CGY and seeing many people out with guns, in the fields, hunting pheasants. They would look up and I always wondered if any would take a potshot at us.

Same place, driving to Boston, saw the beaters and guns strung out in the field. Ducks flying off, in the dykes and below the field level. Smarter than peasants. :)

CoffmanStarter
13th Oct 2013, 07:55
Talking of destroying cars ...

The Muntjac Deer around these parts is most certainly public enemy No 1 ... especially at dusk and in the early morning. Deer fencing helps but we are almost at plague levels here in East Sussex. I took my daughter to Gatwick recently ... came across a dozen of them in total during a forty min drive :mad:

Another Chinese import we could have done without ...

Wild Boar are also becoming a problem too ... tis rural in these parts :ok:

Union Jack
13th Oct 2013, 09:51
..... my Opel Manta.- BEagle

:uhoh:

Jack

PS In other words I'm lost for words!:)

500N
13th Oct 2013, 09:53
Coffman

Plenty of people who will come and cull the deer and pigs for you.

The numbers will double to quadruple every year once numbers
get above a certain level so if you think you have a lot now, wait
until 2 - 3 years time. Especially so for pigs.

CoffmanStarter
13th Oct 2013, 10:03
500N ... I'm sure there are mate ... But we have "people" around here who can't separate the Disney Bambi image from the four legged pest that is the Muntjac Deer :*

BEagle
13th Oct 2013, 10:51
Union Jack, I had 3 Opel Mantas over the years!

First was an 'original shape' (Manta 'A') 1.9 Berlinetta automatic. Rather gutless, but a nice car which handled well. Second (following 2 x Sciroccos) was a 'new shape' facelift (Manta 'B2') coupé which was my first ever new car. Again, handled fine but build quality was poor - one door didn't fit properly and it took months to sort out the steering vibration. But this was traded in for a Stage 2 Manta GT/E coupé, which also had the 4-headlamp mod., Irmscher spoiler and Bilstein shocks. That was very nice indeed!

Those who really know the Manta will understand my fondness for the marque!

500N
13th Oct 2013, 11:19
Coffman

They don't need to know.

You are allowed suppressed rifles over there,
easy to cull without many knowing.

Pontius Navigator
13th Oct 2013, 12:30
the Disney Bambi image from the four legged pest that is the Muntjac Deer :*

We had a presentation at environmental seminar but one Rosie Roe. She lectured us on the different types of deer in UK, their origins and their habitats.

At the end she said she much preferred Muntjac "Very tasty."

There was a gasp from the audience :)

wrecker
13th Oct 2013, 14:18
Muntjac
the best eating of all venison but an absolute b****r to skin

CoffmanStarter
13th Oct 2013, 15:24
Wrecker ...

I guess you'd need something a little more "surgical" than one of these :}

http://www.historicflyingclothing.com/myarchive/633.jpg

Tashengurt
13th Oct 2013, 17:48
Coff,
You'd be lucky to get the skin off milk with one of those.

Posted from Pprune.org App for Android

teeteringhead
13th Oct 2013, 17:54
At least you could sort of stab someone with one of those Coff, before they put the "Elfin Safety" knob on the end.

Pontius Navigator
13th Oct 2013, 18:02
TTH, amazing how many of those sharp ones went missing :)

teeteringhead
13th Oct 2013, 18:05
Funny you should say that Pontius ;) and the even older "Bowie Knife" blade was even better. :ok:

Pontius Navigator
13th Oct 2013, 18:53
TTH, £44 was one price I found :)

racedo
13th Oct 2013, 22:10
Mate ended up meeting a pheasant head on into the grille late one night.........he gave up trying to get all the pieces out and then visited his folks in village in Scotland.

Pretty much everyone knew he had had a bird strike because he said at least 15 people over the course of the week had attempted to remove body parts of the bird from his front grill.

Came out of the pub after having driven there to find cop at his car with flashlight, he said was almost a brown trouser moment until cop said
"Hey bud trying to get rid of bird from grille, you had a beer or two, come on I'll give you a lift home".

ExAscoteer
13th Oct 2013, 22:19
Wrecker ...

I guess you'd need something a little more "surgical" than one of these :}

Bloody brilliant for opening Compo tins!

Fox3WheresMyBanana
14th Oct 2013, 00:47
Having seen a matelot try it, can I suggest an ice axe is not the best way to open a compo tin, especially when the tin is resting on your thigh.....:eek:

I Learned About Major Wound Dressing From That!