PDA

View Full Version : Tyro?

sennadog
7th May 2002, 21:27
TYRO.............what does it mean to you guys?

As it's been explained to me, it's a military expression (also used in America) that you can start your RT with to denote your relative lack of experience.

As a student PPL, is this something that I can use in order to get you guys to cut me some slack (just kidding, insert lack of experience....) or is it a misused term that will only confuse people?

I'd be interested in hearing your views.

Cheers, Sennadog.:)

Hippy
7th May 2002, 21:44
Sorry Sennadog, never heard of such a thing.

I work at LATCC(Mil) and if you start saying 'TYRO' at us you'll probably find a C130 full of men in white coats on your port wingtip!

Try it in America and Lord only knows what might happen. I'm sure Scott Voigt will be in soon to enlighten us.

Rgds, Hippy

Spitoon
7th May 2002, 22:19
You're right that it originates in the mil but I don't know where it comes from. I don't think it's widely used even in the mil although it's probably more common at early training stations and Univesity Air Squadron home airfields.

CAP 413 (http://www.caa.co.uk/publications/docs/CAP413.pdf), the RT Manual, Chapter 9 Page 3 says "Inexperienced civil pilots are invited to use the callsign prefix ?TYRO? when in communication with a military unit or the D&D Section to indicate their lack of experience. Upon hearing this code word, military controllers will ensure that they do not issue complex instructions which the pilot could have difficulty in following.

Certainly some civi controllers recognise the term but by no means all and the RT manual limits its use to mil units. My advice would be to use other standard phrases such as 'speak slower' or 'say again' if you're having trouble with the RT.

Scott Voigt
8th May 2002, 02:20
Sennadog;

Never have heard of TYRO here civil or military. Did a stint in the Navy and the Air Force as well as Civil ATC... 28 years and haven't heard it used yet...

regards

BEXIL160
8th May 2002, 06:48
Hmmm... Well I remember "TYRO" being in regular use by the ARMY at Middle Wallop, haven't heard it in a long time though.

Memories of low hours pilots driving Chipmunks and Scouts around Salisbury Plain (LFA1a/b) drift back.

What did it mean to me? Don't ask this pilot to do anything overly complicated, he's in the early stages of training and has his hands full just flying the aeroplane (helicopter). Help him if you can.

Rgds BEX

sennadog
8th May 2002, 07:22
Thanks for the replies! It would seem best not to use this expression given that not everyone has come across it - unless I'm feeling a bit lonely up there and want some of Hippy's mates to keep me company!

niknak
8th May 2002, 12:20
In the early 1980s there were moves within (I think) AOPA UK for PPL solo qualifying cross country flights to broadcast 'TYRO' along with the callsign, ie TYRO GABCD.
I recall it was used for a year or so, but it died a death for whatever reason, and I've never heard it since.

Crotalus
8th May 2002, 12:58
must admit I have heard it and do understand the ramifications.I personally believe it is a very good idea as it gives an instant indication to the ATCO of the level of experience of the pilot...not a bad thing if they find themselves unsure of position and require help(I am unlikely to suggest help which may well be beyond his/her level of experience or competence).At my unit the flying clubs use the suffix SIERRA for this very reason .

Iron City
8th May 2002, 13:25
Tyro is a perfectly good english word meaning a beginner in learning anything, a novice from Latin tiro (recruit). Know the word, have never heard it on RT or seen it in any manuals in US.

Students or people with less ability/equipment than may be expected (in IMC without a instrument ticket perhaps) are encouraged to identify themselves when they climb and confess and yell for help. Think it is done mainly with more Anglo-Saxon words than Latin ones, though.

WetFeet
9th May 2002, 18:09
In my ADC/APP days the prefix TYRO was regularly used by University Air Squadron and JP pilots who were just solo or new to type to indicate to me their relative inexperience. I found it really useful, as it oftenmeant I was going to see a ropey landing. Seriously, I did tend to speak slower to them and not issue complicated instructions. Saved a lot of RT time as I didn't have to repeat myself.

Vlax
13th May 2002, 10:41
I understood it to be a military phrase. Last heard it used by a student of the University Air Sqd in a Bulldog a couple of years ago.

If you want to say something use GABCD “solo student” etc on your 1st call. :)

Wee Weasley Welshman
13th May 2002, 13:54
I used to put into briefings for my students who were departing on navigation exercises around the Shawbury AIAA. On occassion they used it without a problem.

I was under the impression it was in CAP413 and therefore perfectly legit.

Spitoon
13th May 2002, 15:54
Legit when talking to a military unit.