PDA

View Full Version : LAA membership records in wrong hands?

BroomstickPilot
9th Oct 2013, 12:52
Hi Guys,

I am a former member of the LAA but had terminated my membership
I should say perhaps five years ago. (This was not because I was in any way dissatisfied with the LAA but purely because I had given up flying - at least for the time being).

Today I received an email, ostensibly from the PFA, claiming to have received my membership renewal and subscription to the PFA.

What I find disquieting is the fact that the details contained in the email
seemed to be a perfectly accurate reproduction of my actual membership details from my former membership first of PFA then of LAA of perhaps five or six years earlier, including my former membership number, my date of birth and my current postal address, (all this of course being valuable information for anybody intent upon perpetrating some future identity fraud). It also mentioned the name of someone who is genuinely a member of LAA staff. Needless to say, I have never at any time shared this information with anybody other than the LAA staff, so clearly this is the opening gambit of some scam or other.

I have informed the LAA of what has happened and would suggest that anybody else receiving such a communication should do the same.

I am concerned that the LAA's membership records may have been hacked or otherwise fallen into the wrong hands.

Has anybody else received this communication?

Regards,

BP.

tomtytom
9th Oct 2013, 19:15
I think under one of the data protection rules if a holder of information discovers that the security of the information held has become compromised they are required to notify everyone who's data is held.