PDA

View Full Version : A few questions about becoming a Pilot.

ohcaptainmycaptain
8th Oct 2013, 14:27
So like many of you here, I'm planning on becoming a Pilot. I've a few questions with regards the long road ahead. Realistically I don't see myself being selected for a cadetship so more than likely I will have to do flight school without any help.

I live in Ireland so Atlantic Flight Centre in Cork is a strong option. It costs over 60k which is relatively cheap compared to Jerez and CTC. However, on their website almost all the graduates now work for Ryanair. I've read to posts on here with regards to how bad Ryanair are the work for so I'm skeptical. Most of the people who go to CTC and other more well known schools seem to be a FO with better companies so does it matter what flight school you go to?

Also, can someone explain the type rating? I've read that after you have paid for flight school and get a FO job, you will then have to pay more money for a type rating? In effect I'll have to pay for my own job. Is this only with Ryanair or does every company operate like this?

paco
8th Oct 2013, 16:21
A lot of companies at or below a certain level stiff you up with type ratings. It's a practice I've always been against, but there you are - in some companies you don't get paid until you have passed all your OPCs and line checks as well, all of which you will have paid for. In that respect they're mostly as bad as each other.

With regard to Ryanair - all companies have management practices that are not liked by the workers, some more than most. I only know that every flight I have had with Ryanair has been very professionally conducted by professional people. I suspect you will learn a lot if you get there.

OhNoCB
8th Oct 2013, 17:28
You can't really compare something like CTC Wings to AFC in Cork.

CTC wings is a program which requires that you sit tests and are accepted by the school who will then put you forward with one of their 'partner airlines' assuming you perform to a certain level throughout.

AFC and most other schools (including integrated and modular) provide the training in their/your chosen way and then it's more or less good luck.

If you were to look at those coming out of CTC non-wings course you will also see that a large percentage of those employed are also with Ryanair.

I would say a good rule to budget by is to assume that you will have to pay for a type rating. Hopefully this will be budgeted for no reason as there are still companies that will put you through at your own cost. Next you might get a company who will bond you to it through reduced salary or other means. Unfortunately there are a number of companies that will ask you to pay for it by your own sole means - and considering the job market at the minute you would be really really putting yourself in a marginal position if you were to start looking for employment with the mindset of not paying a penny more after initial training. There are those that do this and are successful but it would be a massive gamble.

pudoc
8th Oct 2013, 19:26
Don't believe everything you read, especially on here. I bet you nearly everyone who complains about how bad ryanair are to work for have never even worked for them.

I know tonnes of happy people in Ryanair. I'm also friends with a Ryanair captain who has worked for national carriers in Europe both short and long haul and he says Ryanair has been the best airline he has worked for.

When you've finished training, you'll be gagging to join Ryanair. If you get given what you think is a crappy base, embrace it and you'll have the best time of your life.

mad_jock
8th Oct 2013, 19:35
On another thread someone post that Ryanair arn't accepting any more CV's and are just using the ones that have been already processed.

2 Whites 2 Reds
9th Oct 2013, 13:58
I'm also friends with a Ryanair captain who has worked for national carriers in Europe both short and long haul and he says Ryanair has been the best airline he has worked for

Really?!?!?! :ugh:

When you've finished training, you'll be gagging to join Ryanair

You maybe willing to do whatever it takes regardless of the consequences but unless you're fortunate enough to be in the enviable position whereby money is no object, I suspect your Bank Manager may object to you spending an additional 30k to join FR over and above the 70-80k you will have already blown getting that far.

ohcaptainmycaptain
9th Oct 2013, 21:10
What other companies take on FO's that are straight out of flight school with no experience?