PDA

View Full Version : Wings and Fins Restaurant- any good?

Sunfish
7th Oct 2013, 09:06
tooradin airport used to have the "wings and fins" seafood restaurant which I gather went to the dogs under previous management.

anyone know if new management has improved it? Seems like a nice stop for lunch on an around the bay scenic.

VH-XXX
7th Oct 2013, 10:37
It did not go to the dogs Sunfish; it is still owned by the same person / company and is still pumping out the same fresh Seafood from Flinders Island that it always has....

Drop in on any Sunday when you are passing through and I'll give you a guided tour of the Crayfish tanks so you can see it for yourself.

Sunfish
7th Oct 2013, 11:46
planning on a scenic with lunch for a special person..

.....Yes, I know.

Jack Ranga
7th Oct 2013, 11:51
Sorry sunny, I can't make it, raincheck?

peterc005
7th Oct 2013, 21:46
Wings and Fins is back and better than before.

It reopened under new management a while ago. The woman who runs it is a very good operator. The food and service has improved.

The $17 "pilot special" includes a drink and meal. If you buy anything in the restaurant the $10 landing fee is waived.

The runway lights at YTDN are good, so you could eat dinner, depart after dark and maybe do a scenic city orbit after that.

VH-XXX
7th Oct 2013, 22:47
It reopened under new management a while ago.

It never closed!

The woman who runs it not is a very good operator.

I'll let her know that you said that the next time you drop in in your Victa AirTourer.

There is no landing fee at Tooradin. PeterC, you should know that, you practically visited every Sunday for months!

Nomde plume
7th Oct 2013, 22:53
There's only a landing fee if you ring up and ask about it!

UnderneathTheRadar
8th Oct 2013, 03:25
The woman who runs it not is a very good operator.
I'll let her know that you said that the next time you drop in in your Victa AirTourer.

Touchy VH-XXX. Suggest you look at the proximity of the 'W' key to the 'T' key and interpret what PeterC said sensibly....

VH-XXX
8th Oct 2013, 06:13
I didn't know what he meant so I assumed the worst :ouch:

My point is that he visits moerately frequently and I wonder what she would think if he said that to her face :ouch:

uncle8
8th Oct 2013, 06:31
I stopped for a Sunday lunch, with a special person, a couple of months ago and found it to be better than expected. The lady in charge is very friendly and the food was above average. I recommend it.

peterc005
8th Oct 2013, 07:56
Sorry, I was typing quickly and got that wrong. The "not" was unintentional. Need to ease up on the work and get some more sleep.

She is a lovely person and a very good operator. I think the place has improved under her management.

I seem to recall the restaurant was closed for six months a while ago an reopened under new managements.

ERSA lists $10/engine landing fee. Not sure in anyone actually pays the landing fee though. The website says no landing fee if you eat at the restaurant.

Flying Ted
8th Oct 2013, 10:02
The place was closed for a while but last time I was there (5 months ago) was in full swing.

If I want to do Port Philip/Western Port scenic its a great option. It's the closest place I can think where you can land and eat.

The food is good without being great. The locals are friendly. And you get to watch the meat bombs.

Other options:
> Phillip Island. A 5-10 minute walk gives you about 4 or 5 eating options.
> Brown Bothers - If you really want to impress and there is 5 star accommodation if you get lucky
> Tyabb - 5 minute walk to the antique centre with good cafe meals available.
> Tuki - a small strip and very homely. Scores points on being out of the way but no water views. Has accommodation.