PDA

View Full Version : What's up @ SAA re Cadet Scheme

Jet Pil0t
7th May 2002, 15:31
Okay guys so I know you are sick of hearing questions about the scheme but here are some more.

I'm not a PDI so I know I have basically ****all chance getting in but I'm still going to try once. However I'm getting close to 50 hours so I need to apply VERY soon and apparently there is an intake in May every year.

My question is where the heck are the newspaper ads (applications) - I haven't seen any yet? Anyone seen any in the national papers or the Cape local papers??? Really need to get hold of one.

Thanks
Jet Pil0t (wannabee)

PS - Anyone know why they changed the max hours from 60 to 50?

hendrik3ma
7th May 2002, 15:51
they do sometimes advertise in mostly the local news papers,but there is a online application form on their website,

[url]www.flysaa.com, about saa on the left,then cadet pilot training on the left again,

I'ts basically a form that you need to print out and they need copies of you matric results and a photo of yourself,
Good luck to ya mate:D

let us know if you get in

Davidils20l
8th May 2002, 17:48
Just out of couriosity, E.G. I have a thousand hours can't get a job. What is stop stop me for applying for SAA cadet scheme, and just not mention that fact.
Call me stupid, but i dont get it. Apart from notting that the skill to fly is there is there anyother way of them finding out?

skyvan
8th May 2002, 21:17
The hour requirement is dropping all the time. Remember, it is a cadet scheme, supposed to help the PDIs, not those with enough get up and go to get some hours themselves.
Having said that, until you find the PDI with a real desire to fly, not just get a job, the hour limitation is purely academic for them. The problem with people with a few hours (50-100) is that they are then streaks ahead during the initial part of the course, but they still have to do all the stuff again. The course is designed to deliver all the cadets to the same point in flying ability at the same time. Those with some experience on joining have an unfair advantage on the others.
There are plans for two intakes a year from next year, but the selection process is a long one. Just download and submit the application form, and wait.

David, your problem is that you have to sign on the dotted line your CV. If you fail to disclose your hours, that could be constued as fraud, and you'd be unlikely to work for SAA thereafter.
You would probably be caught out at any one of the following checkpoints: interview by the Flight Ops people (the other interviews are done by HR, so you could probably BS your way through those), the flight assessment, done by the Pilot Instructors, or possibly somebody just recognising your name.

Paddle Steamer
9th May 2002, 16:44
What happens to the cadets when they qualify? With the present turmoil in our feeder airlines namely SAX,Airlink and also Rossair ,who goes where and for how long?All fine having the Cadet scheme as long as it produces what it is supposed to and that is a reasonably qualified person that has experience and a few hours and allows previously disadvantaged people a chance.What about the qualified chaps who are without a job?

jeroen_kim
10th May 2002, 12:48
www.flysaa.com >> about saa >> cadet training

might help

Whitebug-speed
12th May 2002, 14:59
Sky-van :

"Having said that, until you find the PDI with a real desire to fly, not just get a job, the hour limitation is purely academic for them. "

What do you really mean by this ?

Your attitude really makes me feel sorry for people like yourself. Please get your facts researched properly before you go around making harsh statements on public forums.

I'll have you know that I worked my butt off to get to where I am today, and there was no cadet scheme to help me out either.

skyvan
13th May 2002, 05:49
Hi Whitebug,

I am very happy for you, it is always a pleasure to find someone who has the desire to fly, and goes out of their way to make it happen for them.

I meant no disrespect for those people who want to fly, and then go out and do it. However, having met a number of people who had applied to the cadet scheme, the over-riding desire of most of them was "To get a job". I am sure that you will agree that that is not the right attitude for a aspirant pilot. When asked what they would do if they were not accepted into the cadet scheme, very few (well, none that I met) had any intention of finding an alternate way into aviation. Where is that drive that is required for someone to be a pilot?

Purely for info, on a selection about four years ago, one of the candidates (the most promising of the group) pulled out because he was offered a better package by Eskom. His desire to be a pilot was obviously lower than his desire for a management post.

If you wish to email me offlist, I am quite happy to give you the basis for my comment. I wish you well in your career, maybe we will fly together one day.

worldranger
14th May 2002, 00:04
Here Here Skyvan!!!

It irks me to know that people that don't eat, sleep and **** aviation are sitting in airline cockpits.

I firmly believe that most don't know a PC from a 744 when they first reply to the Ads. There can be no excuse. You don't have to come from a priveleged background to read Flight or Airways or Airnews at CNA. If you love flying that much you'd risk getting thrown out of the store.

I know I Do!!

Whitebug-speed
15th May 2002, 19:45
Skyvan...

You sound like a cool guy...

It definitely is a good thing to have passionate people like yourself in the aviation industry, espeacially during these difficult times.

I do know a few guys(even girls) like the ones you've just mentioned. Coming from the Airforce I've seen certain individuals who only got in because their spots on pilots' course were reserved by their general fathers, and it also proved to me that what ever others might say flying skills are definitely not heredity.;)

Anyway enough whinging for now...and I do hope to one day meet you in the cockpit.

Caio:)