PDA

View Full Version : going to war with the modern dambusters - any good?

essexlad
5th Oct 2013, 15:40
Just seen this book up on amazon. Considering buying it but would like to hear everyone elses opinions if they have read it

Pontius Navigator
5th Oct 2013, 15:45
EL,

The 1* and 2* reviews are pretty damming:

the most exciting thing about this book is the picture on the cover... The trouble is that it slowly becomes apparent that 617 Squadron saw very little actual combat while in-country - they dropped no bombs, fired no guns - occasionally they used a £150,000 missile to kill a single enemy soldier (which seems, to say the least, somewhat wasteful) and every now and then they had to fly low over a village to scare the natives. But that's it - fundamentally, this is a book in which nothing really happens.

And there you have it.

gr4techie
5th Oct 2013, 16:02
From what you read out there, you'd think 617 are the only sqn in the RAF. How about everyone else? But then maybe some sqns are modest and don't have to rely on bragging about the same one mission in 1943 that only had limited success.

Pontius Navigator
5th Oct 2013, 16:36
techie, remember the book was written by an embedded journalist. Also it is easier to 'sell' 617 or the Reds than try an advertise one of the other squadrons which now have near invisible PR value.

Consider Ed Macy's book. The title Apache is clear, succinct, and may even catch a cowboys and Indians fan. Had he used is AAC Sqn number the book would have been invisible.

goudie
5th Oct 2013, 16:46
I do believe the continual 'Dambuster' title, as applied to 617 Sqdn. is wearing a little bit thin. In no way do I wish to detract from the courageousness of the original crews or their epic feat but still applying the title to the current Sqdn. has worn, IMHO, a little bit thin.
I was a cpl techie on 617 Sqdn when it reformed with Vulcans in '58. On detachment to Nellis AFB in '59 we were introduced, at a formal dinner, as
'The Dambuster Boys.' We all found it rather embarrassing!

Training Risky
6th Oct 2013, 17:30
On detachment to Nellis AFB in '59

Is there any truth to the story I once heard, that 617 once flew a 'N!gger' formation over to the USA...and were refused an Air Traffic service???

Apocryphal...or just made up?

Pontius Navigator
6th Oct 2013, 18:08
As the Vulcans did not fly formations it is unlikely that it would have been a formation.

In 1959 was the dog's name a dirty word over there? While segregation was outlawed in public in 1954 it was not until 1964 and the Civil Rights Act that it was finally ended.

We met a USAF major in 1965 who was a full blooded Cherokee Indian. He asked us not to let his colleagues know as there was still deep suspicion and I think they were not allowed 'fire-water'.

Timelord
6th Oct 2013, 19:12
The remarks about not much action on the deployment are fair enough, but if that's how it was, that's how it was reported. I thought it was a pretty fair account of a squadron preparing for and going on ops.

Pontius Navigator
6th Oct 2013, 19:49
TL, fair account maybe but I suspect that readers the modern military genre look for more action and 'nothing happened' is not what they want to read.

I read as many post-WW2 paperbacks that I could get my hands on. Most were very good and while some of the geography passed me by I can remember many episodes that virtually all included action or one sort or another.

EL asked the question and the best thing I think is to read the reviews on Amazon. He can then assess whether he wants to read a study in planning and preparation or seek another book with an active storyline.

goudie
7th Oct 2013, 18:58
In 1959 was the dog's name a dirty word over there?

Don't know about that PN but a few of us sat sat with a bunch of black guys one night, in the airmen's club, They were very friendly and interested in the reason we were there etc.Thankfully they didn't know the history of 617 Sqdn.
The next morning the master sergeant who was our liaison officer
warned us off fraternising with them during our stay. 'We don't mix with them there black guys and don't you either' or words to that effect.