PDA

View Full Version : POB increased to 8

pohm1
3rd Oct 2013, 10:59
Link (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-24375068)

Isles of Scilly baby boy born on rescue helicopter

2 October 2013 Last updated at 20:35 BST

A baby boy has been born onboard a Royal Navy rescue helicopter.

Ella McLachlan went into labour on the Isles of Scilly and gave birth to a son, Marcus Daniel McLachlan, in mid-air after Falmouth Coastguard received an emergency call on Tuesday.

The RNAS Culdrose crew tried to get her to hospital before delivery, but had to tell the coastguard the crew of seven had "just increased to eight".

Would this be the first time a woman has opened her legs for a Navy crewman?;)

Well done to the rear crew.

P1

The Helpful Stacker
3rd Oct 2013, 11:12
Must be a particular kink of RN SAR crews. ;)

BBC NEWS | UK | England | Cornwall | Boy born in helicopter meets crew (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cornwall/8343009.stm)

dervish
3rd Oct 2013, 11:28
Great story. :ok:

Wensleydale
3rd Oct 2013, 11:49
Imagine the headlines had a similar event happened to a certain SAR pilot who used to fly from Valley.... it doesn't bear thinking about!

floppyjock
3rd Oct 2013, 13:57
Same happened to a friend of mine in Belize in 96. But that was in the back of a Gazelle. POB went from 4 to 5. Tight or what.

Floppy

diginagain
3rd Oct 2013, 14:11
I was about to ask how you'd manage to deliver a baby in the back of a Gazelle, but changed my mind...............

airborne_artist
3rd Oct 2013, 14:32
"Jacob's passport and birth certificate both state that he was born in a Royal Navy helicopter en route from the Isles of Scilly to the Royal Cornwall Hospital." Pretty cool :ok:

Tankertrashnav
3rd Oct 2013, 15:47
Dad and sprog were on the local news last night. Dad was chuffed to death but the kid was just sleeping like a - er - baby!

I noticed that the ac captain was an RAF guy. Nice to know mother and baby were in good hands ;)

Tourist
3rd Oct 2013, 17:43
No, the aircraft Commander was RN.....

Tankertrashnav
3rd Oct 2013, 22:52
Bloke I saw was sitting in the RHS (or was the captain one of the blokes down the back)?

Or maybe he was just sitting there so they could get his best profile!

Big Pistons Forever
4th Oct 2013, 02:03
Typical ! The RN guy does all the hard work and the RAF takes all the credit:hmm:

500N
4th Oct 2013, 05:37
Do they sign him up as a crew member before the birth certificate
is issued ?

anotherthing
4th Oct 2013, 07:14
TTN,

Aircraft commander isn't always a pilot...

Motleycallsign
4th Oct 2013, 08:12
He is on rotary anotherthing. And the opoerating pilot almost always occupies the right-hand seat. On the Wessex 5 it was the only seat with brake pedals available.

Tourist
4th Oct 2013, 08:49
The observer was the captain, as is very often the case in RN rotary.
The person in the right seat tends to do most of the interesting flying, but this is dependent on the circumstances.
If the captain is a pilot, he can and will tend to alternate seats with the P2 on each flight so that each gets to do the interesting stuff.
Quite simple really.

pohm1
4th Oct 2013, 09:07
he can and will tend to alternate seats with the P2 on each flight so that each gets to do the interesting stuff.

May I suggest that on this particular flight, the 'interesting stuff' was happening in the rear cabin? :p

P1

Tourist
4th Oct 2013, 11:18
Almost always the case on SAR....