PDA

View Full Version : aircraft part falls from the sky

truth_seeker
3rd Oct 2013, 03:08
Guys and girls,

Hearing on the grapevine about an incident in Cairns on Tuesday where some poor bugger had a piece of aircraft fall into their backyard?

Any truth to this one? A definite worry if it is....:bored:

Captahab
3rd Oct 2013, 04:35
Now everyone is going to want a bit :E

ampclamp
3rd Oct 2013, 04:55
Was it blue and icy cold?

The Green Goblin
3rd Oct 2013, 10:25
I wonder if the Captain is going to write a book about it? :hmm:

Volumex
3rd Oct 2013, 11:05
Once upon a time I was in the Navy's DC-3 coming back from an airshow in Benalla. One of the Navy guys was still a bit green around the edges from a serious night. Eventually he was in the thunderbox relocating the contents of his stomach into a plastic bag. When he was done, he wobbled over to the open door and flung the bag out. Some lucky farmer between Benalla and Albury was the fortunate recipient of said bag.

Cactusjack
3rd Oct 2013, 11:12
I was once asked to collect an aircraft part from a house situated under the approach path to one of our cities. The excited house owner claimed he heard a massive bang on his roof as a 'jet' flew over his house (I won't name the carrier) and the part bounced off his roof onto his driveway. Anyway it was a 737 uplock spring. In those days it wasn't an unheard of issue and periodicaly aircraft would be found with one missing.
And certainly it isn't the only item that occasionally separates itself from an aircraft in flight. Still, I wouldn't want to be smacked in the head with one falling to earth at approach velocity :uhoh:

Fantome
3rd Oct 2013, 15:04
There was a C310 Broken Hill for Mildura (VH-WRG) that broke up in a Cb.

Years later a stockman on a remote station picked up the aircraft flight manual. Had never heard of the accident. Took the manual to the police next time he was in town. That's when he found out.

Sunfish
3rd Oct 2013, 21:31
Cactus is right - not unusual for small bits to go missing occasionally.

Frank Arouet
3rd Oct 2013, 22:41
I know a bloke who knows a bloke who had a prop separation near Moree years back. Two farmers, each returned the bits to Police who returned both to him. One half still hangs in his office today. Happened often when timber props were not torqued correctly season to season.

Hugh Jarse
3rd Oct 2013, 23:08
I lost about 4 feet of de-ice boot somewhere between Sydney and Canberra many moons ago.

"How many condoms can you make from an old de-ice boot?"

365 if it's a Goodyear. :8

VH-XXX
4th Oct 2013, 02:22
Happened often when timber props were not torqued correctly season to season.

Of course CASA's answer to that was to issue an AD. I wonder how many know that they need their timber props to be torqued at to match the season :cool:

Ascend Charlie
4th Oct 2013, 06:11
I know a bloke who knows a bloke who had a prop separation near Moree years back.

I was there at Moree when it happened, refuelling one of a pair of Hueys enroute Amberley-Adelaide.

Looked up to see a Tiger Moth in a massive sideslip trying to lose height to make it onto the runway. He made it. When we started up and took off, he was still in the middle of the runway, and I was wondering why he didn't taxy off it - then we flew past and saw them standing around staring at the empty prop hub and scratching their heads.:8

KRviator
4th Oct 2013, 07:18
Of course let's not forget the Hornet that dropped a missile off the wingtip and ended up making a mess of old' mates Landcruiser in Darwin back in 2000.

I remember the ads Toyota ran not long afterwards..."The only way to kill a Cruiser? Hit it with a missile!"

Paragraph377
4th Oct 2013, 09:08
And don't forget the odd occasion when stowaways have died in flight while stowing away in passenger jet main wheel assemblies, then fallen out once the landing gear has been lowered. There was a couple of them in the UK a few years ago.
A definite hazard to those living under flight paths.

Hempy
4th Oct 2013, 12:45
KRviator, that guy owned a wreckers yard and it ('it' was a drop tank) landed on the only registered vehicle in the whole yard....his personal car!

Runaway Gun
4th Oct 2013, 19:43
I saw it, it was a CATM training missile.

TBM-Legend
4th Oct 2013, 22:33
2OCU Macchi dropped a BDU practice bomb just after takeoff on RWY12 at Willi...not quite dropping but one let a round or two go from a mini gun across the runway between some landing Mirages...

VH-XXX
4th Oct 2013, 23:22
http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2004/07/23/roe_2407.jpg

http://members.iinet.net.au/~bc_j400/missile.jpg

Hasherucf
4th Oct 2013, 23:36
Part falls from sky ! Green tag and sell on Ebay .WIN!! :ok:

Frank Arouet
4th Oct 2013, 23:44
Check your PM's.

arrowjock
31st May 2014, 08:05
Fantome,

I was once very familiar with WRG. Any idea where the crash site was? All I know it was somewhere south of Wilkurra Stn.

Exascot
31st May 2014, 08:19
Once had the sliding door come off an BN2T overhead a DZ at 10,000'. It came down like a fluttering leaf. Fitted it straight back on, plus a new stop - not a problem.

LeadSled
31st May 2014, 09:08
Folks,
I still have some bits of a Meteor canopy, after a P-51D and said Meteor had a coming together over Castle Hill, NSW.
"More recently" (late '60s, early 70s) a BOAC VC-10 dropped a large section of flap into a Sydney backyard.
Tootle pip!!

thorn bird
31st May 2014, 09:49
Yeah well CAsA will persist with this CAO20.11 cr..p of every year continually opening emergency exits that were never meant to be opened except in an emergency.
Result is things get worn and eventually depart the airframe.

This despite no accident data to suggest there has ever been a problem with pilots not being able to open the door, but plenty of doors departing the aircraft in flight.

With any luck one of these departing doors will fall on someone senior enough in CAsA one day and save the industry some money.

onetrack
31st May 2014, 10:40
How come we never hear about bags of money falling out of an aircraft? Armoured trucks regularly lose bags of money, why not aircraft?? :hmm:
However, knowing my luck - if it did happen near me - I'd be wiped out by the impact of a large bag of $2 coins going 150 kts. :{

dubbleyew eight
31st May 2014, 11:05
XXX torquing the bolts season to season is a nonsense.
learn what belleville washers are and how to use them.
my prop has 6 bellevilles per bolt and I never need to retorque due to seasonal changes.

Ascend Charlie
31st May 2014, 22:37
In the 80s I had a task to carry 3 police divers to a scenario in Sydney Harbour, right in the middle of Circular Quay, to drop them at a simulated boat accident.

Before departing Mascot, I removed both back doors of the JetRanger, and briefed the lads on ensuring that they re-fastened their seat belts behind themselves before leaving (and don't hook them through your tank straps, or you won't get out!) to stop the belts flapping around outside the aircraft and causing damage.

The drop went fine, and as I climbed away towards KSA I checked that there were no loose seat belts. Good.

Landed back at base, put the doors back on, and then noticed that the seat back was missing - it hooks over a small stud and is held on with velcro. The buffeting wind lifted it out of the back and amazingly it missed the rest of the tail boom and the tail rotor, and is probably still sitting on the roof of a terrace house in Redfern to this day.