PDA

View Full Version : Still flying after all these years (DC-3)

antiguogrumete
2nd Oct 2013, 19:50
I never thought I could shoot a real DC-3 taking off at Manises (VLC)

NCjl0JyP5j8

The DC-3 HB-IRJ Breitling was built in 1940 by American Airlines, has 75,000 flight hours.

All a veteran of heaven :ok:

razorrawe
3rd Oct 2013, 19:07
Strange never new American Airlines built Aircraft aswell as flying them:ugh:

DaveReidUK
3rd Oct 2013, 20:45
Give the guy a break - after 45 posts he's finally come up with a mildly interesting video. :O

Hotel Tango
3rd Oct 2013, 21:26
"mildly interesting"

You're getting soft Dave ;)

A30yoyo
3rd Oct 2013, 23:24
Is that still flying with Wright Cyclones? I'd be quite thrilled to see a civilian build 1940 DC-3 flying,too.

cyflyer
4th Oct 2013, 05:48
I wish modern videocam users could learn how to use the shutter settings correctly so that we see spinning props instead of static or reversing props. They do have shutters settings don't they ?

DaveReidUK
4th Oct 2013, 07:12
Is that still flying with Wright Cyclones?No, it was built for AAL with Wrights as a -277B, but those were replaced with with Twin Wasps many years ago:

http://www.michaelprophet.com/News_articles/News_articles2012/images/images_photoflyin_2012/18.jpg

The only photo I could find with the P&W logo - honest, guv ! :O

razorrawe
4th Oct 2013, 13:50
What a nice set of pins , sorry bolts holding that propeller hub together;)

Planemike
5th Oct 2013, 11:11
Shiney blades..........too!!!

Planemike

Michael Cushing
6th Oct 2013, 23:20
cyflyer (http://www.pprune.org/members/343135-cyflyer),

You could have taken your comment from not useful to 100% useful just by telling us how to set the shutter speed correctly.

We would all love to make the props look real over the full range from idle to full speed.- please tell us how. The world wonders.

cyflyer
7th Oct 2013, 06:22
MC, with the amount of videos that the original poster posts, I think he has enough videoing experience to know that camcorders have a controllable shutter speed, be it in numbers, or Auto mode verses sport mode/night mode etc that controls how the camcorder captures moving subjects. But, as more sacrcasm seems to emminate from your question rather than genuine quiery, I'll leave it there.

Michael Cushing
7th Oct 2013, 19:41
cyf,

My sarcasm came because of an unwarranted criticism of the OP.

As far as I can tell, video is recorded as a stream of images called frames, typically 30 frames a second. Your eye is so slow that when you flash it with 30 pictures a second, you perceive it as a moving picture.

Unfortunately, if something, like a prop, is moving at a multiple of 30 frames a second (say, 1,800 rpm) it appears stationary. If it's moving a little faster it rotates clockwise; if it's moving a little slower it rotates counterclockwise. Shutter speed has nothing to do with it; frame speed does.

I have seen videos without the stationary/slow/backward/forwards frame speed artifact, but I just thought they'd adjusted the prop speed to minimize the effect. You suggested there was a way to fix it, and I'd hoped you would.

Capetonian
7th Oct 2013, 20:15
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7593647/P1040807.JPG

This beauty still does tourist flights from Reykjavik Airport. Saw and heard her going several times. There are of course better photos on the net but this is one of my own, taken in July on full zoom from near Perlan, hence the poor quality.