PDA

View Full Version : The man who keeps a Harrier in his garden

allan125
2nd Oct 2013, 13:09
See

The man who keeps a Harrier Jump Jet in his garden: Builder spends six years and £10,000 restoring Falklands plane he bought on eBay (without telling his wife first) from the Daily Mail website.

]The man who keeps a Harrier Jump Jet in his garden: Builder spends six years and £10,000 restoring Falklands plane he bought on eBay (without telling his wife first) | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2441319/The-man-keeps-Harrier-Jump-Jet-garden-Builder-spends-years-10-000-restoring-Falklands-plane-bought-eBay-telling-wife-first.html)

john Farley only gets a mention as "a John Farley" in "The fighter was built in 1980 at a cost of £35 million and taken for its first flight by a John Farley. It was then housed at 899 Squadron at RNAS Yeovilton".

Allan

Courtney Mil
2nd Oct 2013, 13:13
How cool is that! Better than garden gnomes, anyway.

54Phan
2nd Oct 2013, 13:22
Well, he's done an excellent job of restoring it, and has given it a shelter to keep it in good condition. Of course the journalistic hyperbole is mildly entertaining, if not especially informative. Well done to him. :D:ok:

CoffmanStarter
2nd Oct 2013, 13:39
Brilliant :D:D:D:D ... But I can just see what his wife might be thinking :rolleyes:

Mrs B ... "Well DEAR its either the Harrier or me" ... Mr B ... "Bye bye Dear" ... lets hope not :ok:

CoffmanStarter
2nd Oct 2013, 13:49
Courtney ... we're going to need to sort something out for you to "display" in your new garden pretty soon :ok:

An F4 might be a bit ambitious ? What are your preferences ...

Best ...

Coff.

Wrathmonk
2nd Oct 2013, 13:57
At least I can put a face to the poster better known as WEBF now :E;)

TorqueOfTheDevil
2nd Oct 2013, 14:11
When it arrived from the Suffolk-based dealer he discovered it was also missing many parts on its exterior as well as the full tanks, the nozzle on its stencils.

Any ideas, anyone??

diginagain
2nd Oct 2013, 14:21
Any ideas, anyone?? It's the Mail.

I particularly like the photo of the empty radome accompanied by the caption inform readers that the engine is missing.

The Helpful Stacker
2nd Oct 2013, 14:58
When will WEBF rise from his slumber and use this as an example of how small numbers of Harriers can be 'operated' at low cost, all the time quoting flawed supporting evidence, mainly consisting of links to posts made by himself, quoting posts made by himself, quoting posts made by himself, quoting posts made by himself etc etc etc?

Courtney Mil
2nd Oct 2013, 15:15
we're going to need to sort something out for you to "display" in your new garden pretty soon

Actually, I do have a really neat piece of sculpture in the rockery above my pond. It's a compressor blade from a GR9 Pegasus. It's planted hub end down under a small Japanese Maple and lit by a spot light. Very cool.

:ok:

West Coast
2nd Oct 2013, 15:30
I bought a used fishing boat for a fraction of what he paid without informing the missus. I can only imagine he practiced his speach to her a hundred times as I did.

Courtney Mil
2nd Oct 2013, 15:36
Actually, now you mention it, perhaps a fishing boat is a lot more use than a garden harrier. :p

Fox3WheresMyBanana
2nd Oct 2013, 16:20
He could have saved himself the dosh by simply moving to Yeovilton and just waiting for Spon to drop one in his yard (see Caption Competition);)

CoffmanStarter
2nd Oct 2013, 16:55
Fox3 :D:D:D:D

CoffmanStarter
2nd Oct 2013, 16:59
Courtney ...

http://i1004.photobucket.com/albums/af162/CoffmanStarter/RAF4_zps388cddb4.jpg

Take your pick and I'll call UPS to arrange delivery :ok:

NutLoose
2nd Oct 2013, 17:02
Courtney ... we're going to need to sort something out for you to "display" in your new garden pretty soon

An F4 might be a bit ambitious ? What are your our preferences ...

Best ...

Coff.

There are still a few Tens at Brunty or perhaps Lusty as that's retiring soon if you want a boat. :E

I wonder if he got a free blow up Sharkey Ward for his Harrier?

West Coast
2nd Oct 2013, 17:03
Courtney

The fish caught to cost ratio of owning it didn't pan out, sold it a few years later for what I paid.

As the saying goes, the two happiest days of a boat owner's life are the day he bought it and the day he sold it.

CoffmanStarter
2nd Oct 2013, 17:20
WC ... But you live in splendid part of the US where a boat is a "must have" ... :ok:

West Coast
2nd Oct 2013, 17:49
While I have a wave runner /PWC, I'll wait till I hit the lotto for the next boat.

ricardian
2nd Oct 2013, 18:15
Didn't like those RAF pinnaces - I am sure they would roll on damp grass!

Courtney Mil
2nd Oct 2013, 19:45
As the saying goes, the two happiest days of a boat owner's life are the day he bought it and the day he sold it.

I really do hear what you're saying, BUT my last boat dealt me a different hand. Best day was buying it, worst day was having to sell because I was leaving the country. Here she is...

http://www.projectoceanvision.com/vox/images/chapter09/boat.jpg

The next one will be forever. Now, the idea of the old RAF launches brings to mind a new project. With one of those I could spend my retirement surveying France's wrecks. Hmmm. Some thinking required (not such an easy feat, before you tell me, Coff!) , but I wonder.:cool:

Wycombe
2nd Oct 2013, 19:55
For those not aware, Sir James Dyson keeps one outside his Company's offices in Malmesbury, Wilts. A GR9, I think.

CoffmanStarter
2nd Oct 2013, 21:15
Jacques "Courtney" Cousteau ...

http://i1004.photobucket.com/albums/af162/CoffmanStarter/image_zps4fb98fef.jpg

Well haven't they refurbished Calypso (which was a British Minesweeper I believe) so an ex RAF Motor Launch should be no problem :ok:

Courtney Mil
2nd Oct 2013, 21:26
Yeah, we're in the process of rethinking our location in France, thanks to a certain poster here. But even the step from the Nantes-Brest canal to a place on a river further south isn't going to accommodate that. Or maybe we go back to one of our earlier plans and buy a boat to live on instead of something on land How much is the boat?

PPRuNe Pop
2nd Oct 2013, 21:33
Coff.

Can you please resize the little 'ships' to 800 x 800 - PPRuNe's preferred size to avoid the lateral stretch that it causes - then everyone can be relieved of the problem of narrowing the page.

Thanks.

PPP

muttywhitedog
2nd Oct 2013, 21:52
Perhaps is Sharky asks this gent nicely, he'll be allowed to spend his summer holidays in the shed to the left, where he can spend the evenings all misty-eyed in the company of his beloved SH....

NutLoose
2nd Oct 2013, 22:30
You'll have to call the next one something different Courtney, to an outsider the "Fighting Cock" sounds like a gay wrestler.

chiglet
2nd Oct 2013, 22:49
Guy who ran the "Snipe Inn" in Dukinfield bought the Blackpool Vulcan
Then found out he couldn't afford the transportation
So, he buys a SHAR
Shar is now gone, pub demolished and is now a housing estate :ugh:

diginagain
3rd Oct 2013, 06:48
Shar is now gone ...Someone needs to tell WEBF.

CoffmanStarter
3rd Oct 2013, 08:09
PPRuNe Pop ..

Can you please resize the little 'ships' to 800 x 800

Done :ok:

CoffmanStarter
3rd Oct 2013, 08:25
How much is the boat?

Courtney, I dont think Calypso is for sale ... mind you estimated restoration has been c. €1.7m ... so I'm guessing a pretty hefty sale premium if it ever came on the market :eek:

The whole story is a bit sad really ...

Calypso (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RV_Calypso)

Cousteau Society (http://www.cousteau.org/about-us/calypso-history)

Anyway back to the thread ...

gr4techie
3rd Oct 2013, 16:34
You know when your a third rate armed forces when... Some builder from Sommerset has more Naval airpower as an ornament in his back garden than the Royal Navy has.

Navy_Adversary
4th Oct 2013, 09:40
It would make a good item to take along to the Antiques Roadshow when that next visits Somerset.:)

Courtney Mil
4th Oct 2013, 11:09
It would. Just pop it in the back of the Volvo and see what Fiona Bruce has to say about it. :ok:

Tupperware Pilot
4th Oct 2013, 12:03
near RAF Croughton
Here is the Sea Harrier - lies at Rowler Manor between RAF Croughton and (ex RAF) Hinton-in-the-Hedges. Here are a couple of photos. I saw it today when I was flying into Hinton.

Sea Harrier...002 on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/tupperware_pilot/3801804910/in/photostream/)

Rowler Manor... on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/tupperware_pilot/3801803794/in/photostream/)

The owner is reputedly an "arms dealer" !

Gullwings
5th Oct 2013, 10:47
"You know when your a third rate armed forces when... Some builder from Sommerset has more Naval airpower as an ornament in his back garden than the Royal Navy has."

If someone could also let him have a Nimrod then he could also have more Maritime Patrol aircraft than our third rate air force.

Thank goodness we are not an island nation and we have learnt lessons from our past history! Two very useful aircraft types lost, so much public money wasted and our nation’s long range military maritime capability set back for many years. Well done to all concerned who influenced such very bad decision making along the way.:ugh: