PDA

View Full Version : MEL/CDL

eatmywake
1st Oct 2013, 16:01
Hello all, I have a question that I'm hoping some bright spark can answer? here goes:
What if any regulation covers MEL/CDL on a flight log, I know that they have to be somewhere on the log, and I'm sure that there is an FAA reg that covers that, if you could let me know that would be great, reason I ask is that I got into a heated discussion with a Pilot yesterday who thinks that his **** doesn't stink just because he has scrambled egg on his cap :ugh:! And his response "there is no need for it on a plog"
So I would like to able to stick 2 metaphorical fingers up and say "told you so"
Never, ever, ever question a Dispatcher otherwise we will make your life a bloody misery!

dc9-32
2nd Oct 2013, 09:50
No requirement on the plog but an entry should be made on the tech log.

bucket_and_spade
3rd Oct 2013, 22:11
Never question a dispatcher? Really? Been on any CRM courses recently? Who signs for (and take responsibility for) the aircraft again?

Get over yourself.

yotty
4th Oct 2013, 12:56
Initially the certifying engineer will apply the MEL/CDL and make the required entries. The commander will then accept the a/c if they are happy! The MEL/CDL is a "book" controlled by the pilot fraternity, it takes ages to get anything changed!

matkat
4th Oct 2013, 13:03
Look at EASA part M at AMC M.A.403(b) Aircraft defects the mention of the work sheets is the Tech log, also notice what it's says in regarding notifying the Pilot/Flight crew. How that be confirmed would be through the tech log and certainly has been in any airline I have ever worked for

Yotty the MEL/CDL is controlled by Operations it is actually their book.

bvcu
4th Oct 2013, 16:41
Bit of a clarification here on your question , the technical log should have MEL/CDL recorded. But different companies have different systems as to where thats recorded. Sometimes its all in one log, sometimes its a separate one with another 'log' for fuel/oil/transit check. From a dispatchers point of view if its something that affects performance then the info should be available for flight planning in advance if possible which means extra fuel etc is already planned to make the job easier for the crew. In the past working with FAA registered jumbo's there seemed to be a variation of procedures between companies so dont know what the legal bit on your side is. If you're preparing the loadsheet you need the info !

yotty
5th Oct 2013, 19:31
matcat, I can only speak for my company. This is the preamble from our B777 CDL /MEL. "This publication forms part of the BA Approved Operations Manual Produced by Flight Manager Technical B777 and issued by Technical Publications Unit" :)

eatmywake
7th Oct 2013, 13:41
Thanks for that chaps,
By the way Bucket & Spade, have a look in the dictionary under sarcasm!

eatmywake
7th Oct 2013, 13:44
Different compnaies that I have Dispatched for have had various ways to notify crews of MEL/CDL's especially when they affect performance ie: pack inop etc. I was just wondering if squirelled away somewhere in the FAA regs it mentioned something specific about MEL/CDL's being somewhere on either the flight plan or Dispatch release.
Cheers anyway for the info.