PDA

View Full Version : Hourbuilding California/Arizona vs Florida?

Grumbler
30th Sep 2013, 16:04
I need to build some hours, but I still haven't decided where to go.
I have been training in Florida before and liked it but I thinking about going California or Arizona this time

Can somebody that has been there please tell me about the major differences between these two states regarding airspace congestion, weather and just flying in California in general

I have 150 hours of total time and feel confident in most airspace (Tampa, Miami, Orlando in Florida) but I don't know if is totally different on the West coast of US so would like to hear some recommendations/advice where to go :rolleyes:

Thanks guys

Lew747
30th Sep 2013, 16:15
I went out 2 years ago to Chandler Air Service in Phoenix AZ. Flew about 30 hours in 2 weeks. It was perfect VFR weather every single day. Visibility in excess of 30 miles but even towards the end of September...incredibly hot! (40 degrees C+). Good fun transiting the Phoenix Class B and overflying Sky Harbor whilst having jets landing right under your little Cessna.

Chandler Air Service (http://www.aerobatics.com) :ok:

grafity
3rd Oct 2013, 21:07
Second Chandler Air Service, guys are 100%. I blogged my whole experience there if you fancy reading about the place.

You can read about it here if you like. Phoenix Hour Building | Flight Training Blog (http://reynoldschristy.wordpress.com/phoenix-hour-building/)

Golf--Lima--Papa
4th Oct 2013, 14:07
It's a no-brainer for me, logged around 90 hours flying in California and some 30 hours in Florida. California in my opinion is far more interesting and there is just so many cool little airports to visit. I find Florida, flat, boring and the weather can be a major ball ache.

Grumbler
5th Oct 2013, 21:18
Thanks guys,

Golf Lima Papa how did you find the difference between the two states regarding airspaces (difficulty/congestion) and the flying in general in California?

Im about just go to Florida only because I have been training there and know pretty much every single airport! It's boring - hell yeah! If I was sure I could just jump in a plane in California without any worries and fly I would rather do that

grafity
6th Oct 2013, 12:08
I think the beauty of the States is that it all works pretty much the same. My trip was based in Phoenix, Arizona and I have flown in Arizona, California and Utah.

If you have 150 hours already, I guess you're looking for PIC. I'm not sure how many you need, but is it enough to warrant the trip to the States? Have you looked at a flying club close to where you live, if you've done all your flying in the states so far, it would be good experience getting used to Europe.

Golf--Lima--Papa
6th Oct 2013, 22:13
To be honest I didn't really see a massive difference between ATC and airspace. The flight following service that you'll be familiar with really is fantastic. I can't get enough of flying in California.

PIOSEE
7th Oct 2013, 13:36
I would highly recommend Angel City Flyers based in Long Beach LA. I did all my training in Ireland and I did 60 hours hour building with them and they were flawless. They use DA40's with G1000 display. A quick check ride and they give you the plane and you can go where ever you want within the USA. Amazing experience.

funkydrumming
9th Oct 2013, 11:38
110% agree with Golf Lima Papa.

California is a lot more interesting. I did 35 hours in 7 days around 4 weeks ago, I flew to Northern California, toured the Golden Gate Bridge, Catalina Island,Big Bear, over LAX at night at 2500ft on the mini route, flew down to Arizona, Mohave Space port, and loads more . Got lots of amazing pictures and memories.

I'm actually in Florida right now with work, every time I come here there is CBs around, and low cloud...maybe it's my timing?!

Golf Lima Papa, are you the Scottish Bombero?:ok:

2 Whites 2 Reds
9th Oct 2013, 13:49
A friend and I went to Phoenix, AZ for 4 weeks and did 100 hours each. Good weather every day and Sky Harbour is good fun. We were at Deer Valley and rented our C172's from Westwind Aviation. Very nice people and at the time we paid $99 p/hr wet! Chandler also looked good although we only flew in through there, never actually had experience of the companies on the airfield.

The only thing I would say is that its worth getting a Garmin equipped aircraft or, like we did, buy a second hand one online and then sell it at the end of your trip. But try not to become reliant on it. It's just a nice to have bit of kit when you're in the middle of no where over New Mexico or taking the long way round to Lake Havasu for lunch where you'll not see another sausage for an hour at a time.

As mentioned above, there's loads to see if you venture West. We did a 5 day tour up the West Coast spending a night in each place...starting with Vegas and ending with Palm Springs. California is beautiful from the air and the LAX VFR Transit is a must, as is the lovely Steak Restaurant in Santa Barbara although for the life of me I can't remember the name of it.

Grumbler
9th Oct 2013, 14:39
Okay, thanks for the advice. Could somebody please recommend a school to rent from in California just to compare prices and so?

Think the choice is between Arizona and California don't know which one is better

DiamondC
10th Oct 2013, 18:28
I did my PPL with Angel City Flyers in Long Beach, California (April 2010) and some of my hour-building at Chandler Air Services in Arizona (January 2013). Both states provide really good flying.

Long Beach, California
- Overall orientation is straightforward (sea is west, land is east!)
- Good experience of really busy airspace along the coast (LAX, military, ...)
- Sometimes there is a "marine layer", it's a cloud layer that usually lifts by morning and there can be weather over the mountains inland from the coast
- Places to visit: Santa Barbara, Palm Springs, Catalina Island (I'm sure there are many more but since I was doing my PPL I only did a few cross-countries)
- Lots of interesting things to do when you are not flying

Arizona
- Inland climate: cold nights, hot days
- Some busy airspace around Phoenix, also high altitude and mountain flying. There is lots of desert around (!) so sometimes there are longish flights to get to your destination and fewer features to use for navigation
- Places to visit: Grand Canyon, Monument Valley, "boneyard" in Tucson, volcano and meteor craters

GAZ45
18th Oct 2013, 11:08
I have just returned from flying nearly 70 hours with Chandler Air Service.

The place is brilliant - proffesionally run with the majoirty of insturctors being aerobatic instructors.

The checkout is thorough and covers all aspects of local airspace and mountain flying (it was around 8 hours though so prepare for that in your costing).

Aircraft were decent - definately reccomend.

Straighten Up
29th Oct 2013, 04:05
GLP - where did you rent from in CA? I'm hoping to go in march next year. How is the weather at that time of year? Thanks

Golf--Lima--Papa
1st Nov 2013, 13:22
Golf Lima Papa, are you the Scottish Bombero?

Affirm :ok:

@straighten up, I highly recommend both Universal Air Academy and SoCal Flying Club both based at El Monte Airport (KEMT).

funkydrumming
1st Nov 2013, 14:05
GLP, shouldn't you be busy round about now?:D

Me and GLP flew into KLAS ( Las Vegas Mc Carran International Airport) yesterday from LA, we had such a blast, ATC couldn't have been more accommodating.

Upon arriving at Signature Aviation, ALL the staff were dressed up in Halloween costumes. If you upload a minimum of 7 USG of fuel, they lend you a car to drive at no extra cost.
Highly recommend this trip if you decide to come to California.