PDA

View Full Version : IMCR training in continental Europe

RedKnight
30th Sep 2013, 15:34
Does anyone know of flight schools or training organisations in continental Europe that offer the IMCR? Excellent training quality (in English) is essential. Favourable weather is a strong advantage.

S-Works
30th Sep 2013, 18:35
I can do it in Spain for you.

Cobalt
1st Oct 2013, 09:16
IMCR

Favourable weather is a strong advantage

... does not compute ...

BackPacker
1st Oct 2013, 11:06
There used to be a document (from memory, it was Standards Document 26) on the CAA website that listed all flight schools known to the CAA, and what types of training they could provide. From memory there were only six foreign schools that could do PPL-type stuff. One in Jerez, Spain, four in Florida and one in California.

Unfortunately with the transition to EASA that document no longer exists and is replaced by standards document 30 and 31, which only lists UK facilities. (Both are available here: List of Flight Crew Standards Documents | Publications | About the CAA (http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?catid=33&pagetype=65&appid=11&mode=list&type=sercat&id=22)) So if there's an exhaustive list of foreign facilities that can do the IMC (or other PPL-level courses), then I would love to know about it.

I just checked the Jerez website and it seems they focus on commercial stuff only. If they can do the IMC for you, then the website doesn't mention it. FTE | Pilot Training | British Airways | Flight School | Become a Pilot | Pilot School | FTEJerez (http://www.ftejerez.com/) Maybe Bose-X has more information...?

Anyway, the remark of Cobalt is a valid one. I guess I was lucky. I did my IMC recently at Leicester Aero Club, on an intensive course running Sunday to Thursday. The initial two days happened to be in VMC conditions, using foggles, but on Wednesday we did a three-hour cross-country to Norwich while an occlusion was coming through. We spent almost all of the three hours in solid and turbulent IMC, doing two ILS approaches and an NDB approach to actual minima. I really learned about flying from that, and gained a lot of confidence as well.

late-joiner
1st Oct 2013, 11:06
When I started my imc course I thought at first we would fly in most weather with few cancelled lessons. But actually the instructor wanted to be able to see where we were going much of the time whilst I was under the hood so despatch rate was a little better than, but similar to standard ppl training.

S-Works
1st Oct 2013, 12:42
There are two schools that operate in Jerez under CAA approval. FTE who are an integrated only school and FIS. FIS operate under my training approvals as a UK ATO offering PPL, CPL, ME and IR training. We can also obviously teach for the IMCr. As Spain does not have an IMCr all training is conducted under IFR by current IR holding Instructors.

Spain also gets its fair share of IMC days but in general has a much better launch rate. It is pretty easy for us to do an IMCr in 4 days.

RedKnight
1st Oct 2013, 12:51
Many thanks folks. Admittedly one does not expect to fly in utterly fair weather conditions when training for an IMCR, but given the time constraints that I am under, I am mindful of the need to position myself in an environment of somewhat predictable weather that will reduce the likelihood of an extended grounding of the aircraft.

IRpilot2006
1st Oct 2013, 13:23
FIS is UK run? It used to be run from Germany or Austria. Their main instructor then had a swim near Hawaii.

S-Works
1st Oct 2013, 15:34
Ownership of FIS has not changed. Just who provides the contract to train the students. As a UK ATO/TRTO it suited our Type Rating training needs to have a warm base. We already operate commercially in Spain.

GrahamGRG
8th Apr 2014, 13:52
I checked this thread when considering where to do an IMCR/IRR(R) renewal and have just returned after a (successful) week with FIS at Jerez.

General facilities and Aircraft were good, the staff I met were friendly and helpful, and LEJR has all the Nav aids you need. The ability to spend time in the Simulator is tremendously cost-effective and Harry Apiafi's superb coaching pushed my Instrument flying and confidence to a new level.

Also had a chance to fly one of the FIS PS28's (SportCruiser) - great aircraft and less than 50hrs on the clock so if you want to experience new technology give them a call. I'll certainly be going back.