PDA

View Full Version : No.228 (Javelin) OCU, RAF Leuchars

Vampiredave
30th Sep 2013, 08:40
No.228 OCU was reformed at Leuchars in May 1965 to meet the need to replenish the Javelin crews of the FEAF's all-weather and night fighter squadrons. Commanded by Sqn Ldr George Beaton AFC, course training began on 1 June 1965 with Javelin FAW 9s, T 3s and Canberra T 11s. It later carried 11 Squadron's 'number plate' as part of its operational commitment - a reminder of its 'shadow' role. The OCU was disbanded in December 1966.

Can I please ask if anyone on the forum served with the OCU during this period and can recall 1) how many courses were operated by the OCU, 2) what was the length of each course, and 3) when was the 11 Squadron 'number plate' adopted by the unit?

Thank you in advance.

DW

Wander00
30th Sep 2013, 08:49
Remember a Cranwell QFI, sadly I understand no longer with us, Brian Henwood, who decided my dual land-away X-country would be to Leuchars so he could visit mates at the OCU and maybe lobby for a return to the Javelin.

Monsun
30th Sep 2013, 12:33
Hi Dave

There was an article on 228 OCU published in the January 1967 edition of Air Pictorial written by Roger Levy. It covered the period 1965/66 and might help with some of your queries.

Apparently each pilot logged 50-60 hours at Leuchars with average sortie time being just over an hour. Navigators logged around 45 hours. In addition as much time again was spent in the Javelin 9 simulator. The first course started on 1/6/65.

The article states that the 11 Sqn 'shadow' role was adopted 'mid-summer of last year' so presumably mid 1966. Markings comprised 'a pair of buff-coloured eagles, each with yellow bill and feet, set against a white disc'. These markings were also applied to the three Canberra T.11s operated by the OCU.

Hope this helps

Peter

Vampiredave
30th Sep 2013, 12:56
Hi Peter,

Thank you for reminding me of the Air Pictorial article, which I have in front of me. I know Roger quite well and have asked him about the article. I have also spoken to the former CO, Wg Cdr George Beaton, about the unit but at the age of 88 his memory of events of 47 years ago is, understandably, not as clear as it could be? It is the courses and the 11 Squadron affiliation that I am really interested in and would welcome any input from former Javelin crews?

Thank you.

DW

Fox3WheresMyBanana
30th Sep 2013, 14:42
XI(F) Sqn did not disband (at Geilenkirchen) until 11 Jan 1966, and reformed on 3 Apr 1967 (at Leuchars), so the shadow role must be within these dates.

redsetter
30th Sep 2013, 16:14
No connection with the unit - but - 228 OCU did five Basic Courses (sixth cancelled). Course length looks to have been about five months or thereabouts. Unit was notified verbally of 11 Sqn number in March 66 but no mention of confirmation. Rather good valedictory entry by the CO in the Form 540s for Jan 67:

6. After a month of make do and mend, the place is rather like a morgue. Where previously the happy laughter of instructors mingled with the groans of tormented students, now a sombre silence pervades all. Even the air smells different. The foetid odour of burning rectifiers from the simulator has been replaced by a burning paper and polish smell.

7. The hangar is clean and tidy; the ground equipment either returned to stores or in neat rows, newly painted. Only the simulator awaits its fate. MOD cannot make up its corporate mind on what to do with this fascinating, expensive and completely worthless piece of equipment. No doubt I shall recognize pieces of it in Lyle Street shops in a few weeks time.

8. Only Pete du P****** and myself await jobs; we have both been posted supernumerary to RAF Leuchars to keep the paper-work straight. We must try and find ourselves a small room with a power and water supply, where we can drink coffee and play Uckers until something turns up.

ICM
30th Sep 2013, 16:51
Two colleagues on 72 Nav Course were posted to Javelins on graduation in December 1965. This caused the staff some surprise, for nobody had gone in that direction for a while, and we heard that the reason for these postings was the deployment of Javelins to Zambia after Rhodesian UDI, declared in the previous month. In the event, I heard early in 66 that the postings had been cancelled - presumably the sixth course mentioned above - and I had rather assumed that training had stopped early that year.

NutherA2
30th Sep 2013, 17:18
Cranwell QFI, sadly I understand no longer with us, Brian Henwood,

I hope you're wrong in describing Brian as no longer with us; I was hoping to see him again at a 43 Sqn reunion dinner in a couple of weeks. Will I be disappointed?

Wander00
30th Sep 2013, 17:55
Nuther A2 That is what I hear, but would be delighted to be proved wrong - if you see him pass him my regards. Will send PM so you know the name!

Cheers

W