PDA

View Full Version : What to expect from PPL groundschool?

M_broFlyer
29th Sep 2013, 09:23
I was wondering how exactly is the groundschool implemented? How exactly does the student determine when to fly and when to study? I know there is a required 45 hours before taking the PPL, I know the student needs at least Air Law and a Class 2 Medical out of the way before the first solo, and I know EASA has this 100-hour groundschool requirement that nobody knows how it will be enforced or checked.

What I don't know is how the flow of the PPL course will actually run, or how it is best to go about it. My target at the moment is approx. 6-9 hours of flying per month (2hr flight + 1hr flight per day, 2 or 3 days a month) which will bring me to 45 hours in 5-7.5 months. I've just been informed that under the new EASA rules, I may need to sit 2 or more exams within 10 days of the first exam.... Initially I had planned to take at least one exam a month, now it seems that I'll need to study 2-3 subject to make the best use of each "sitting."

So my question now boils down to what exactly can I expect from the flight school in terms of instruction? Am I expected to read the books and just book a groundschool session to clear up any questions? Am I expected to book a groundschool session, be taught the important parts, then hit the books? Will a subject require at least X amount of hours of classroom time? As instructors, what would you say is the average time needed on groundschool (either per subject or for the whole course) for "modular" students?

I've read a few posts about students saying they got their first solo in Y hours, or that they were ready by Z hours flying time, but I've not seen any talking about how many hours of groundschool they needed before being confident to sit the exams.

Thanks for any help!

Whopity
29th Sep 2013, 13:03
I know the student needs at least Air Law and a Class 2 Medical out of the way before the first soloThis has never been the case!I was wondering how exactly is the groundschool implemented?Surely you have answered your own question and I know EASA has this 100-hour groundschool requirement that nobody knows how it will be enforced or checked.
Am I expected to read the books and just book a groundschool session to clear up any questions?That was the old way! However under the new ATO system, read the Training Manual and it will tell you exactly what you have to do. So far nobody has one, so until they become ATOs (2015) then anything is possible!

BillieBob
29th Sep 2013, 14:40
Quote:
I know the student needs at least Air Law and a Class 2 Medical out of the way before the first solo
This has never been the case!True in the case of the Air Law exam but you do need a valid medical certificate to fly solo.