PDA

View Full Version : Bunbury Aero Club and accommodation

Stanley1985
28th Sep 2013, 05:06
Hi

I am a Singaporean and will be in Western Australia from 4 Nov 2013 onwards for my PPL training full-time. I hope to be able to obtain it within 3 months.

I intend to train with Bunbury Aero Club, and have already informed them of my intention via email. My concern at this point is the accommodation there.

Any recommendations/advice on accommodation and other relevant items relating to flight training at BAC will be much appreciated.

Thank you very much!!!

Stanley

VH-XXX
28th Sep 2013, 09:01
A word of advice Stanley, perhaps give them a call if you haven't already as they may shut down over Christmas plus if they speak to you they will know that you are genuine. There are many pretend students out there emailing clubs with scam type emails and they may think you are one of them!

onetrack
28th Sep 2013, 12:35
Stanley, here's a link to a real estate agent site where you will almost certainly be able to find accommodation. You may be best advised to contact one of the real estate agents and let them know your requirements.

Units For Rent*in Bunbury, WA 6230 (Page 1) - realestate.com.au (http://www.realestate.com.au/rent/property-unit-in-bunbury%2c+wa+6230/list-1)

South Bunbury would be your best location for accommodation, as it's close to the Aero Club on South Western Hwy.
Keep in mind that public transport services are limited in Bunbury, and the sparse transport services often don't run after 1800HRS or 1900HRS.

Accordingly, you may wish to purchase a cheap car or a scooter to get around. If that's not in your plans, then you'll need to research the transport options.

VH-XXX is correct - most of Australia's business operations that are not critical, tend to close down, or work reduced hours over the Christmas-New Year period, as everyone is in holiday mode, and the Summer heat is increasing then, as well.
It's entirely possible the Aero Club will not be operating flying training for the period from 24th Dec to 2nd January.

Bunbury is quite a pleasant place with good facilities, and the accommodation costs are not unrealistically priced, unlike Perth.

lethalw
28th Sep 2013, 13:55
1. SPL, Medical, ASIC - have it in you hand BEFORE you get here, otherwise I guarantee you will lose at least 4 weeks without being able to go solo...and there's only a limited amount of training you can do before the solo stage.

2. As mentioned, call call and call. If previous years are to go by, club closes 24/25/26 Dec, but may have limited availability outside those dates too.... But whatever you do, DO NOT just turn up at BAC without having been emailed a schedule of what lessons you have BOOKED IN. (Trust me, I had one bloke do that, just because I responded to his email stating we could help him complete his PPL. Next minute, he arrived having made no previous bookings...!!)

3. Buying a car is a good idea until you have to sell it.... Maybe see what long term rental works out at - its not like you'd be putting a lot of K on it. Maybe ring Budget in Bunbury and suss it out. Ask for Jason (or Guido).

PM me for further info if you like, if you can't get it from BAC - pretty unlikely though - they're a good bunch of lads and ladies.

Best of Luck!

Mach E Avelli
28th Sep 2013, 20:48
A website I found useful was Gumtree. Search shared accommodation Bunbury area. For the time you will be here, it could work out cheaper than setting up on your own.
You should like Bunbury as it is just the right size to have most facilities and the flying is less constrained by ATC delays.

Stanley1985
1st Oct 2013, 06:28
Very useful advice from all!!!

Thank you very much for your time and attention!

Oh, anyway, have you guys also heard of bunbury flying school? How are they?