PDA

View Full Version : Qlink vs Rex take home & duty

skyhog
28th Sep 2013, 01:08
Hi yall,

I'm thinking about a regional basing in Sydney, but have herd conflicting and out of date figures for FO and Cpt salaries with Qlink and Rex.

What are the current average take home pays for FOs and Captains in these companies?

And what sort of duty are you doing? 4/4? standby? overnights?

Cheers, Hog.

DasTrash
28th Sep 2013, 10:40
QLink:
Q400 FO: Take home $1800-$2200 fortnight depending on allowances.
Q400 Capt: Take home $3000-$3400 fortnight depending on allowances.
Roster: 4 Sector Day shift, or 5-3 overnight, or 6am to 5pm reserve.

Extra cash for working on days off, extending duties, training pay etc.
Does not take into account training costs that maybe payable to new hires.

Arnold E
28th Sep 2013, 11:32

Your not serious about that are you?? You would almost get the lower end of that flipping burgers at the big M.:confused::eek:

Wally Mk2
28th Sep 2013, 11:57
'AE' actually that's not too bad in this mugs game. Based on what 'trashy' says $1100 a week upper end (take-home remember) would be in the order of low $70'sK per year gross I'd say.

Wmk2

deadcut
28th Sep 2013, 13:17
Arnold please point me in the direction where these high paying McDonalds are...

pilotchute
28th Sep 2013, 15:22
Last time I checked a shift supervisor at HJ's or McD struggled to make 45k a year.

The store managers are on salary so expect to be there 60+ hours a week for around 50-55K.

I think Day VFR in a single piston is the only thing that pays less than a shift supervisor at a Burger chain.

Arnold please tell me where these jobs are as I would like to know as well.

FO Cokebottle
28th Sep 2013, 15:47
Hey Skyhog,

If you are flying a C182 out of nowhere to nowhere on night freight - this would be great job.

If you don't think so, go to your nearest Miccy D's and apply for a job flipping meat paddies.

;)

KRUSTY 34
28th Sep 2013, 22:49
Once you land a job at a major regional airline, I think it's fairly safe to say that your wages will at least become stable.

Whether the amount per fortnight is enough for you to achieve home ownership in a capital city, is probably debatable.

The problem for airline managements is that the participation rate in the profession has over the past 2 decades, reduced by a factor of 10! Partly due to the failure of airlines to compete for the available labour.

Irony can be quite ironic sometimes! :)

training wheels
28th Sep 2013, 23:49

That's about as much as what a third world country pays some of their F/Os to fly similar type aircraft. And with the cost of living in such countries much lower than Aus, they're doing just a little bit better.

skyhog
29th Sep 2013, 01:55
Thanks for the info lads and lasses, and for the weird McDisgusting management salary thread drift?! :confused:

I am pretty happy to take a $70k package if I'm home the majority of nights and bashing about at 300kts. (What I'm currently up doing :))

Any similar info on Rex would be good. I know they are a little slower but meh!

BPA
29th Sep 2013, 02:44
REX pay would be less due to the size of the Saab340.

puff
29th Sep 2013, 03:29
For a comparison also see what the Q400 drivers in the USA would be earning as well - and before you compare cost of living, a lot of Q400 operators have crew based in New York, not a cheap city like SYD.

waren9
29th Sep 2013, 04:31
not really crusty. why compete for pilots when you can manipulate supply. cadets, minimums etc etc

training wheels theres a reason ****holes pay more. no one wants to live there

OpsNormal
29th Sep 2013, 05:16
Puff, suggest you might want to do your homework a little better than that. Sydney is the 8th most expensive city in the world vs New York in 39th.... There is NOTHING cheap about living in Sydney!

cost of living comparison (http://ustralian.com/cost-of-living-sydney-vs-new-york/)

OK, I choose to live in the NW of Sydney as it suits my family to be around our extended family, but things like tolls (at $60 every 4 days - bearing in mind there is no useful public transport between here and the airport), exhorbitant rent etc made the move back to Sydney (after 10 years away) a difficult choice and one that we only made after looking carefully at every option for us.

At least my employer has a dedicated Sydney basing allowance which certainly helps!

puff
29th Sep 2013, 07:10
Fair point re cost of living - but how bout comparing 22k a year to 70k?

OpsNormal
29th Sep 2013, 10:49
Good point puff, but I'm not sure that a Rex F/O gets anywhere near $70 even with a fair slab of allowances trying to live in Sydney?

Cravenmorehead
29th Sep 2013, 11:05
Good points rmcdonald.
Another way is you could marry a Doctor or a Dentist.
Why would you live in Sydney anyway??? Great climate and lots to do but the place is so biggggg.
I think you make do as best you can wherever you live. If you are only interested in the $$$ then probably aviation in its current form is not for you.
I really believe to be successful in this industry you have to have a passion way above the mighty dollar.
Just a thought sorry I have no information on QLink or Rex.
I work in a third world country and earn $140,000 a year flying Turbo props. I love the flying and tolerate the place.
Sorry thread drift
Craven

KRUSTY 34
29th Sep 2013, 11:08
Waren', fair enough point, except the strategy is failing.

Trust me, the crewing problems at the regional airlines will continue, despite what the "smartest" people in the room come up with.