PDA

View Full Version : Helicopter mining exploration

haihio
27th Sep 2013, 13:04
I might be starting a new job in a few months doing mining exploration in northern Africa using an as350 b3 .
Can anyone enlighten me on what kind of flying this would be? can you give any useful tips?
I've been told you must fly very precisely like flying an ILS manually and on the end of the hook you have some kind of radar thing that surveys the ground.
how heavy is the survey radar? How long is line used? anyone already doing this in northern Africa?

Flyting
27th Sep 2013, 17:53
There are too many variations to tell you what system you will fly.
Basically, it is like flying an ILS approach for hours on end :eek: and takes lots of concentration as you are given little leeway for errors (flying off the planned line) as this costs the company money.

Bottom line.................. You need to be shown and trained into the job.

Take music with to keep you sane as it can get long and monotonous.
Watch your F&D times
Take a break inbetween flights if they are long

spinwing
27th Sep 2013, 20:58
Mmmmm ....

Sounds like you will be 'flying a bird' and with GPS line guidance ....

Good luck ...

This will either be as 'boring as can be' ... or 'way too exciting' ...

let us know how it goes ....

;)

fijdor
27th Sep 2013, 23:03
Usually you will be using a 100 ft line, again like flyting said, depends on the system you will be flying. so let say a 100ft line + the bird at the end and the aircraft will be flying at 200ft following the contour a 70kts, usually at gross weight because they want you to go for as long as you can, expensive to come back for fuel. Yes you will be flying an ILS the whole time with, depending on the contract + or - 50 meters play on each side of the line. There is a display or computer or etc set up for you to follow. There may or may not have an operator on board with you.

Boring, maybe, maybe not you need a lot of attention on the job, you will get use to it, long hours sometimes and make sure, make sure that you keep your altitude at a safe level, birds are expensive, sometimes one of a kind for that particular job.

Ask them to explain to you the system and how it works in layman terms. You will understand why the specific speed and altitude etc

Also, Google "Airborne Geophysical Survey" that will give you an idea of the systems involve in this job and what it is.

JD

Bladestrike
28th Sep 2013, 06:23
Towing a bird is some very fun flying. The company I was with only had the contract for one season, but I logged some 450 hours trying to fly lines with a 206L1 in the big hills of Quebec. My only instruction prior to heading out was to keep the bird out of the trees. I guess I didn't do it long enough to get bored, but compared to offshore flying....

Flyting
28th Sep 2013, 11:12
+ or - 50 meters play on each side of the line

maybe 10 years ago....... my last one was 10m each side :uhoh:
The trick is to have the nav system refined to the minimum displacement shown i.e. if 1 dot left/right is shown/10m off on the nav system, have them adjust it to at least 3m/dot... refines your flying and keeps you more on line