PDA

View Full Version : Libya Considers Chooks

Savoia
27th Sep 2013, 07:03
Tripoli, 27 September 2013:

The Libyan armed forces are reportedly seeking to buy 22 twin rotor Chinook heavy lift helicopters from US manufacturer Boeing, which at book prices would cost in excess of $700 million.

Boeing this week confirmed that Libya was interested in purchasing CH-47 Chinook helicopters. A spokesman said that it was likely that the order would be for just six Chinooks, however in August, Boeing’s Senior Manager, International Business Development (Mobility Rotorcraft), Steve Barlage was quoted as saying that Libya was thinking of buying six CH-47D and 16 CH-47F, an upgraded version of the CH-47D .

Military considers $700 million Chinook helicopter deal | Libya Herald (http://www.libyaherald.com/2013/09/27/military-considers-700-million-chinook-helicopter-deal/#axzz2g4dmeFZg)

SASless: Ever been to Tripoli?! ;) :ok:

Adroight
27th Sep 2013, 07:06
Libya already operates older model Chinooks.

SASless
27th Sep 2013, 12:22
When I was involved with that first Contract they had with Agusta.....when it came time to go to Tripoli and do the Operational Training.....I opted to join Mr. Bristow's Flying Circus.

I did not fancy going way down south in Libya where there was some unpleasantness going on amongst the inhabitants.

If they are still operating some of the original aircraft.....I find that simply amazing as I figured they would have written them all off in accidents by now.

The four Pilots we trained had Nine Accidents between them before coming to us....and they were the hand picked few!

I will pass but thanks for thinking of me for such a grand opportunity.