PDA

View Full Version : Booster seat cushion

RedBullGaveMeWings
26th Sep 2013, 16:32
I am only 5'2'' (158cm) and I need a cushion:hmm:

Currently flying a 1979 Cessna 152 and may start flying a Cessna 172 later. The vision over the glareshield is not that bad but could be better with a cushion. I think I will definitely need it on the 172 or other airplanes.

Where can I buy it?
It would be better if I could buy it from a European pilot shop as I am in Italy. Buying it from a US shop would be way too expensive due to custom duties.

Fantome
26th Sep 2013, 16:55
Captain Bristow of British Airways was a man most intolerant of pilots with duck's disease. In the Ansett ground training section at Mascot there was a lovely man instructing , one Martin Henry, (5' 2'' of him) who flew in DC-2s and DC-3 s with Bristow in the war. Story goes at Lisbon one morning, Martin held up the departure as he had to go back into the terminal for more cushions to sit on. Martin, telling the story, said his pompous captain called to him out the open cockpit window - "Bloody short arsed pilots . . .. . you are flies in the ointment . . . spanners in the works."

soay
26th Sep 2013, 19:39
An energy absorbing foam cushion will give you the extra height, while protecting your spine in the event of a hard landing. Here's one source of them:

Severn Valley Sailplanes (http://svsponline.co.uk/Confor-Energy-Absorbing-Foam-Cushions.html)

MacSki
26th Sep 2013, 20:12
I used a seat cushion from summer garden furniture. Fitted perfectly in the PA28 seat I was flying at the time. I did try the energy absorbing pads but couldn't get one that seemed to be the right size. The cushion from the garden furniture was very cheap and did the job for me.

RedBullGaveMeWings
26th Sep 2013, 20:13
And what about something like this?
Premium Flight Seat Blue - 4 Seat x 1-1/2 Back - Free Shipping $75 or more! (http://www.pilotshop.com/premium-flight-seat-blue-seat-112-back-p-8392.html)

By the way, I am really interested in the one soay linked. For a Cessna 152, 172, PA28, Diamond's and Seneca as well as P68 what measure is the most indicated?

These are the airplanes I am likely to fly throughout my training all the way up to the CPL depending on the flight schools I will attend after my PPL:8

EDIT
I may have finally found something proper for me: Noral Single Seat Cushion - Detailed item view - Leading Flight Equipment, Pilot Supplies, Aircraft Equipment, Aviation Headsets (http://proviationshop.co.uk/shop/article_ASP-13-00346.001/Noral-Single-Seat-Cushion.html?sessid=D7h1HAt8wRcIdTl7f3cU9V7aWSw4JAUs4PAuctzO UruR3lw9DGXeLe4z48YZfkSR&shop_param=cid%3D638%26aid%3DASP-13-00346.001%26)

Has anyone ever had any experience with this shop?

Fitter2
26th Sep 2013, 21:09
Has anyone ever had any experience with this shop?

You might like to read the thread on Proviation Customer complaints...

RedBullGaveMeWings
26th Sep 2013, 22:04
Damn it...

Any other hints?

So what do you think about the cushion posted by soay?

Severn Valley Sailplanes (http://svsponline.co.uk/Confor-Energy-Absorbing-Foam-Cushions.html)

Fitter2
27th Sep 2013, 09:17
Extensive work by Dr Tony Segal at Farnborough using crash-test dummies recommended Dynafoam, I'm sure Google will help.

soay
27th Sep 2013, 09:32
So what do you think about the cushion posted by soay?
I do actually use one myself. I had to cut it to fit around the control stick and to the shape of the seat back, but it cuts like cheese, so that was easy. Now I can fly for 3.5 hrs without getting numb, which was not possible without it. However, you'll need to make/buy your own cover, unless you don't mind green foam.

RedBullGaveMeWings
27th Sep 2013, 11:23
Thanks to both for your answers. I will make more research.

RedBullGaveMeWings
27th Sep 2013, 11:40
A bit more of research and I found something on an Italian shop for gliders pilots. It seems what I am looking for though I will need a cover as it has already been pointed out.

Dynafoam spessore 5,10 cm FIRM [D1510200] : The Aerodyne snc, prodotti al servizio del Volo a Vela (http://www.theaerodyne.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=90_158&products_id=705)

The_Pink_Panther
27th Sep 2013, 11:56
Interesting discussion. I've always found I have to wind the height adjust in a 152 nearly to the bottom, and I'm only 5'10. I'm assuming it doesn't wind high enough for you at 5'2.

I'm interested in the foam seat, not as a height raiser, but to stop the numb bum effect. The 152's I fly have no level of seat base support, and it doesn't take long to have to start clenching to keep the blood circulating!

RedBullGaveMeWings
27th Sep 2013, 12:51
I think I wouldn't have any kind of problems if the C152 I fly had the seat adjustable also in height. At the moment I pull the seat all the way forward.

abgd
27th Sep 2013, 15:55
I used a seat cushion from summer garden furniture.

The caution is that in a well designed aircraft, using the wrong sort of foam will actually increase your chances of suffering a spinal injury in a crash.

localflighteast
27th Sep 2013, 16:52
it won't increase it as much as not being able to see over the cowling or reach the pedals would !

I have to have three cushions, two behind and one underneath :uhoh:

RedBullGaveMeWings
27th Sep 2013, 17:15
I can see the horizon, but let's say I am in-line with the cowling so it would be better to see a little bit over the cowling. Unfortunately I can't wind the height adjust upward...

TimGriff6
28th Sep 2013, 07:42
Do try sitting in a 172 - you may decide to start flying them sooner rather than later. I always found the view to be better than the 152 by a noticeable amount and the seat adjustment was better as well.

Fantome
28th Sep 2013, 11:32
QUOTE - I am only 5'2'' (158cm) and I need a cushion

Cushions are good . . . . . they can save your life . . . . or at least
buffer you from serious injury. This was proved in Queensland recently when
an instructor and a pupil in a Jabiru suffered engine failure followed by a forced landing into a tight spot. They fetched with in a sudden stop into a barded wire fence. The cushions they had handy to protect them from facial impact worked.

parachutes can be good too

never forget the Readers digest story of the pilot of a sky diving C208 in Victoria in the mid 90s who wore his slim pack his fiance had given him for his birthday, for the first time
and he needed it because the last jumpers chute deployed too soon and got hooked up in the tailplane. Pilot jumped and lived. Other bloke not so lucky.

patowalker
28th Sep 2013, 11:49
So after the cushion has protected you from spinal injury, you remove it from your seat and bury your face in it? :confused:

https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=cr&ei=A-s7Uvm5FI-A0AWsu4GIAw#q=jabiru+forced+landing

abgd
28th Sep 2013, 22:10
it won't increase it as much as not being able to see over the cowling or reach the pedals would !

In which case you could consider getting a proper (safe) cushion.

The story behind the use of Dynafoam is quite interesting - the name to google is Tony Segal. He was a retired doctor and glider pilot who has done a lot to make gliding safer. There's also the story of spinal injuries caused by early ejector seats. Eventually it was realised that people who used cushions were getting severe spinal injuries whereas those who didn't, didn't.