PDA

View Full Version : Commercial airline pilot - A Levels

Ben-Stoke
25th Sep 2013, 11:47
I am currently doing my PPL and I am at college doing my A-Levels doing Maths, Physics, I.T and Accounts. However I am finding Maths extremely hard, I want to know if it is mandatory to do Maths?
I am finding my other subjects alright it is just Maths, I've found that it is a huge step up from GCSE.
I am serious about getting my CPL as it is something that I have wanted to do since I was young, hence why I am doing my PPL now.

So do I really need A-Level Maths, can I not reach my dream if I do not study Maths?

Thanks

Dash8driver1312
25th Sep 2013, 12:51
I have A-Levels in Biology, Geography, Latin and <ahem> General Studies, and an A in GCSE Maths.

I hate to say it, there's a lot of maths involved in Mass+Balance, General Navigation, Performance, and some in the radio stuff, all with formulae that you need to learn.

You have been warned!

BitMoreRightRudder
25th Sep 2013, 13:09
I got a C in GCSE maths. Never had too many issues with the ATPL exams. As mentioned there is some reasonably advanced stuff in Perf and Gen Nav but nothing requiring an A-level. Maths and science are useful but certainly not a requirement.

Ben-Stoke
25th Sep 2013, 13:16
So how have you managed by not doing A-Level maths?

CAT3C AUTOLAND
25th Sep 2013, 23:37
I hate to say it, there's a lot of maths involved in Mass+Balance, General Navigation, Performance, and some in the radio stuff, all with formulae that you need to learn.

You have been warned!

Well I am not quite sure what this means, but appears to be a load of nonsense. Yes there is some maths in the subject matter, but it is all very basic and nothing really to worry about, it is pitched around GCSE level.

So do I really need A-Level Maths, can I not reach my dream if I do not study Maths?

The answer to this question is no. The ATPL syllabus is not difficult and as I have mentioned above the level of maths and physics for that matter is pitched around GCSE level. The difficulty of the ATPL course is the sheer volume of work, and the amount you need to absorb.

It does help to have a solid understanding of scientific subjects, it will simply put you in a good place for your future study. If you were planning to apply for a sponsorship then yes, having A Levels in science based subjects is a requirement, but that is simply a requirement to apply for the scheme. A degree would be good too.

Getting your CPL/IR doesnt require you to be academic, dont get me wrong it helps, but is not a requirement to get your licence. What is relevant is the amount of hard work it takes, your commitment and maturity during and AFTER you have finished.

All the best, and enjoy the rest of your PPL, its a lot of fun.

pudoc
25th Sep 2013, 23:50
I failed A-level Maths and Physics. Now flying 737. You do the math (or don't)!

Stall Inducer
26th Sep 2013, 16:40
No need for A-Level Maths - I scraped a C in Maths at GCSE level & went onto study Geography Biology & Ancient History at A-Level. If you do a good ATPL course they will teach you or bring you up to speed on what you need to know. Your sheer determination & motivation play a far larger part in gaining your ATPL than pure academic knowledge. My choice of A- Levels has made no impact on my flying career. Choose something you find interesting & enjoy would be my advice.

Dash8driver1312
27th Sep 2013, 00:37
Seems to me CAT3C failed his SATS English, as well as basic politeness.

You can't win them all, but if he's all for auto landing anyway...

FlyingStone
27th Sep 2013, 22:14
I hate to say it, there's a lot of maths involved in Mass+Balance

If by "a lot of maths" you mean the infamous M = F x r equation combined with some basic (+,-,x,/) operations, then yes - ATPL M&B requires PhD in Math.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a Math-type person, but while good knowledge in advanced Math is always beneficial, it is not required neither for ATPL tests neither for line flying. I mean, how many times have you used calculus for either ATPL test or during line flying?

I stand to be corrected and am eager to learn what "a lot of maths" is though.

Artie Fufkin
28th Sep 2013, 06:09
Agreed.

During ATPL exams I remember a little GCSE level trigonometry in General Nav and some very basic algebra during Theory Of Flight, other than that, it was junior school level mental arithmetic.

Flying on line; some addition/ subtraction required to fill in the tech log and check a manually produced load sheet (I use my iPhone calculator for this) and in the the air I have only ever needed my three times table for descent planning and the ability to either multiply by five or if that gets too tricky, divide by two for non precision approaches.

A Level maths will look good for cadet scheme applications.

Ka6crpe
28th Sep 2013, 06:21
As long as you can perform basic algebra and trig then you should be OK. More advanced maths will give you a better understanding of the physics of flight, but isn't really needed for day to day flying.

Dash8driver1312
28th Sep 2013, 20:24
I apologise on behalf of all of those who think "a lot" in my original post referred to "more formulae than you can store in a scientific calculator" as opposed to "there is a significant quantity of number crunching involved in the tests that will eat up a reasonable proportion of your test time, especially if you double check your figures."

Feel free to pedant your way across every post on every thread.