PDA

View Full Version : Central Flying School Top Hat Trophy

Duplo
25th Sep 2013, 06:26
I'm carrying out a wee bit of research on the subject of the Top Hat Trophy and wonder if there are PPRuNers out there that can help..? The trophy is normally presented to the QFI student achieving the lowest overall pass mark during the groundschool part of the QFI course. I have the following questions:

When was this trophy first presented and why a Top Hat?

I've never been to a dinner where this award has been presented but understand the winner makes a speech and toasts the CFS. I here tales that some of these speeches have been hilarious, others have been rather 'pointed' at the CFS system or characters - can anyone elaborate with a story or two?

And finally, are there any distinguished winners of this award retired or otherwise..?

Thanks in advance.... Duplo

BOAC
25th Sep 2013, 07:16
Pete Thorn (RIP) won it on 240 course, and we hired a stripper who was wheeled into the dining room in a large top hat on a bomb trolley for the 'speech' and burst forth (to music, thanks to 241 course), draping her skimpy keks on the commandant's head. Not popular...........(with him, anyway)

Duncan D'Sorderlee
25th Sep 2013, 10:13
I vaguely recall that the original Top Hat was 'borrowed' from a doorman at some large London hotel - Ritz?

At my CFS grad, the Top Hat winner dribbled in his beer for about 5 minutes - highlighting the reason for his award!

First presented in 1968 - google is your friend!

CFSA Open (http://www.centralflyingschool.org.uk/Silver/TrophiesOpen.htm)

Duncs:ok:

BOAC
25th Sep 2013, 11:50
First presented in 1968 - I cannot get the link to work on that site, but the Top Hat for 240 Cse was presented December1967 - and I don't think it was the first! I had the feeling the history was far older.

Stuff
25th Sep 2013, 12:08
Yes, that site is very poorly designed, the lower table element overlaps the content making it impossible to click on the link. Anyway, a little bit of shennanigans in the browser and here you go:

http://www.centralflyingschool.org.uk/Silver/Images/TopHat.jpg

Top Hat 1969 hallmarked silver London 1968
Presented by Sqd Ldr Blake and Ground Instructional staff Sept 1968.
Presented to the student who achieves the lowest marks in groundschool.

ShyTorque
25th Sep 2013, 12:25
Just checked the link and I wondered what happened to the list of names that used to be on the website (my name appeared twice...... no, thankfully I never won the Top Hat trophy).

Bob Viking
25th Sep 2013, 14:20
Only the best can lay claim to the Top Hat Trophy. The hat was 'borrowed' from a Doorman at the Dorchester. The criteria are as mentioned above but the certificate provides more detail.
I think we are supposed to be ashamed to 'win' the Top Hat but in my case I was actually pretty proud that I passed every exam first time without a single bit of revision (unless you count five minutes about flight instruments whilst stuck at roadworks on the way to work!).
I wasn't so proud when CFS rang me a couple of weeks later and asked where the Top Hat was though. It seemed to have gone missing and I couldn't remember anything about the evening after making my speech. Although I do vaguely recall being invited in from the roof of CHOM at about 0500 and driven back to Deadalus. I'm pretty sure it was a good night.
BV

BOAC
25th Sep 2013, 16:49
Thanks Stuff - didn't have time to 'source' the page today! I see we are talking about the actual silver 'trophy' rather than the grotty Top Hat. I actually think the 'legend' might go back to Netheravon days (whoops showing my age...:))

As Bob V says, there was absolutely no shame in winning it and some real 'good guys' were proud so to do.

newt
25th Sep 2013, 18:08
According to my Dad, an ancient QFI and CFS Staff for many years, it started in the Netheravon days!

He said he managed to avoid it when he did the course!!:ok:

ex-fast-jets
25th Sep 2013, 19:06
my Dad, an ancient QFI and CFS Staff for many years

That just explains so much!!

rvusa
25th Sep 2013, 19:57
I believe that Harry Gill was the winner on my course in 1964!:ok:

Stuff
25th Sep 2013, 21:39
1964?

That would seem to imply that the 'award' existed perhaps in the form of the original Top Hat before Sqn Ldr Blake had it commemorated in silver and wood in 1968.

Nice one BV, were you applying the fundamental principle of war - Economy of effort? Not having a dig, your career is kicking the arse off mine!

newt
25th Sep 2013, 21:54
Thank you Bomber!

But I fought tooth and nail not to be a Q spit FI!! Unlike some!

Firestreak
26th Sep 2013, 06:59
Newt---you a QFI!
When I was on CFS, if ever your name came up as a potential QFI the gales of ribald laughter were quite remarkable.

See you next Thursday

newt
26th Sep 2013, 13:04
Glad to hear it Firestreak! :D

Bob Viking
26th Sep 2013, 17:47
Stuff.
You know me. Minimum effort, maximum results.
BV

Courtney Mil
26th Sep 2013, 18:06
I rather love the irony on CFS, some of who's graduates announce themselves as the cream of the flying world actually have a prize for the one that was least creamie - pun intended.:E

newt
26th Sep 2013, 22:29
Maybe he should have been made to wear a top hat for the rest of his career!:E

mikebagshaw
25th Oct 2013, 21:24
I had the 'honour' in 1978 but got the Clarkson aeros trophy as well - exactly 25 years after my father had done the same. Had to submit the speech for approval prior to the dining-out, but what was approved and what was said on the night were not necessarily the same thing.

Bob Viking
25th Oct 2013, 23:10
Courtney.
I hadn't read your post until just now. Was it a dig at me?! I'm sure you know as well as I do that ground school scores and flying/instructional ability are not exactly intrinsically linked. I could have mentioned that I also won the Hawk Trophy but I never like to brag.
BV