PDA

View Full Version : What work outside of airlines?

roofow
24th Sep 2013, 18:43
Hi, I'm just taking a look into what kind of fixed wing pilot work there is within the UK but outside of the major airlines. I imagine business jets is in the next tier down but what else is there out there? I've searched but not found much at all, is that simply because there really isn't much else?

CaptainProp
24th Sep 2013, 18:53
I imagine business jets is in the next tier down

I would call it "the next tier up" but I guess that depends on who you ask.

CP

roofow
24th Sep 2013, 18:54
Sorry, I meant in terms of numbers!

dbee
24th Sep 2013, 18:55
HI

There is 'aerial work' which covers things like banner towing, air taxi, inspection (of wires, pipelines navaids etc) and flying training. This is aerial work if done for reward, so a commercial licence would be needed. A lot of the 'young' do this to gain hours, but teaching well is not easy. I am now well retired, but I was taught to be instructor by the RAF - and I flew a biz jet before airlines!!
:):ugh: dbee

Dusty_B
3rd Oct 2013, 12:36
Ummm... "air taxi" is not aerial work.

flyingfemme
5th Oct 2013, 07:24
Lots of sub-groups of work......air ambulance, corporate flying, private aircraft, jump pilot. Charter work covers cargo as well as passenger. Then, of course, there's ferry flying :rolleyes:

P40Warhawk
5th Oct 2013, 11:16
So that is interesting. Ferry flying. I would love to be safety pilot and later become solo pilot for these kind of OPS.

How to find these kind of jobs?

I would love to fly as soon as possible.

The Sky Is My Home.

Elephant and Castle
13th Oct 2013, 09:40
Must be a bit drafty