PDA

View Full Version : Casa to faa

joseph500s
22nd Sep 2013, 10:10
Hello :) as in other posts I have stated I'm moving to the USA early next year and am finding it hard to find some things out, I have looked on google and other forums but can't seem to find a clear answer. I hold a Australian ppl and am unsure of what is involved in converting to faa. I am aware of the temporary license based on my casa ppl but don't want that as I will have to keep my casa license and Australian medical current. What's involved in converting to a full faa ppl? Do I have to do all the training again? Or just do some night training and get good with the airspace then sit the Faa written and then practical check ride? Should I expect to do a lot of additional training to do this? Or is it pretty quick to do? As soon as I get a full faa ppl I will be doing IR and CPL. Any help would be really great and thank you for your time:ok:

sicamore
22nd Sep 2013, 20:13
Regs 61.75 http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgFar.nsf/FARSBySectLookup/61.75

Application and verification: http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/airmen_certification/foreign_license_verification/

djpil
22nd Sep 2013, 22:15
The FAA will give you a certificate based on your Aus licence but it is not temporary. Carry your Aus licence and when your Aus medical and flight review run out then get American ones. But don't just rely on my view - the FAA website has a contact page and they are very helpful.
Just carry on and do your Commercial. No comment on IR but ask the FAA if you can add it to your restricted Private.

...still single
22nd Sep 2013, 22:58
^^ What djpil said.

Get the validation. Your CASA license does not expire and a regular US flight review and medical will keep you flying.
You can add an FAA instrument rating to your validated private license, or you can do the commercial and instrument rating in one go.
Once you have the CPL, you'll have a fully legit, standalone FAA license, so no need to go that route with the PPL.

By the way, if you get a validated PPL, you will need a current (within 12 months) license verification on file with the FAA to add or update ANYTHING on the license -even just your address. CASA charges money for this (of course).