PDA

View Full Version : Aeronautical/Aerospace Engineering

THE PIPELINE
6th May 2002, 12:48
Hi

Im 17 and this time next year im probably going to be off to university. Im thinking of doing a degree (BEng) in aeronautical engineering. I was wondering if anyone out there in the pprune universe had had any experiences with this line of study, or could give me some advice (whheres the best place, where to avoid like plague etc). currently im thinking of Loughbrough or Coventry.

Any help is much appreciated

Thanks

MikeSamuel
6th May 2002, 13:48
You get to put 6 places down on your UCAS form, so fill it! I recommend Bath, (where I'm going after my gap year) Imperial, and Loughborough as these were the three places I visited from my choices. Each one very different, it just depends what suits you! Also offered are 4 year MEng courses, which you might also be interested in.
I shouldn't worry to much about it at the moment - if you have AS level exams in this summer work on them 100% for the time being - retakes are a pain, and next year will be even busier!
Take note that the entry grades are very high - in my case AAB, with an A in Maths and an A in Physics. That's higher than medicine in some cases :eek:
Plus, if you choose Bath, we might be in the same class (or whatever the Uni equivalent is!)

Good luck

MS :cool:

The Greaser
7th May 2002, 10:19
Pipeline

I graduated Imperial College, '97 with an MEng in Aero. Many courses now are 4 year straight Masters degrees rather than Bachelors. Be warned that an aero degree has surprisingly little to do with aircraft especially in the first 2 years which are pretty much broadly spread across the engineering spectrum. ie. expect heavy maths courses, materials, general structural engineering and computing courses.
However much you gain academically form your course, you will learn skills more helpful in being a pilot in extra-curricular activities - as cool hand says. Join sports clubs, societies and talk to people and make as many friends as possible.

Good Luck